Thread: no sound with Skype

Beans

no sound with Skype

1. got the CD music sound OK but none with Skype.

2. Also, I have a very tiny old USB "Precision Mini" Digital Cameara that I use as WebCam in XP & works in Skype too.

How can I make it work likewise in Upuntu 8.10 ? ........nick
    Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,Intel Core 2 QuadP ro Q6600 2.4GHz, OCZ Vend Cooler 2x2GB, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400,EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E),Maxtor sata 160gb, Excelsior 250gb, OCZ 600W Psu, X45,XPsp3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: no sound with Skype

in skype options, you test every sound option until you find one that works and open the panel icon volume control check that the mic is enabled.
    if you did install skype from the medibuntu repo, it's best you have the static version installed, skype uses qt libs (KDE) and is always a problem to set up the sound on the gnome environment (if you running gnome) the static version works better in gnome.

Beans

"........if you did install skype from the medibuntu repo, it's best you have the static version installed, skype uses qt libs (KDE) and is always a problem to set up the sound on the gnome environment (if you running gnome) the static version works better in gnome.........."

terribly sorry, but do not understand a word, absolute idiot with linux, and after 3 yrs trying to get to grips with it.

What I did I think, a few weeks ago, went to add/remove & found it there & installed it.

I use ubuntu version 8.10

thanx, .........nick
    Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,Intel Core 2 QuadP ro Q6600 2.4GHz, OCZ Vend Cooler 2x2GB, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400,EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E),Maxtor sata 160gb, Excelsior 250gb, OCZ 600W Psu, X45,XPsp3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by nichos View Post
    "........if you did install skype from the medibuntu repo, it's best you have the static version installed, skype uses qt libs (KDE) and is always a problem to set up the sound on the gnome environment (if you running gnome) the static version works better in gnome.........."

terribly sorry, but do not understand a word, absolute idiot with linux, and after 3 yrs trying to get to grips with it.

What I did I think, a few weeks ago, went to add/remove & found it there & installed it.

I use ubuntu version 8.10

thanx, .........nick
    well if you did install with add/remove then you must already have added the medibuntu repository, you won't find it there if theres no medibuntu repo.
    use synaptic package manager instead for installing and removing applications, search for the skype versions there.

Beans

Tried, in my quick access VBox ubuntu 8.10, with Synaptic, downloaded the only thing available "skytools " but Skype is nowhwre to be found.

NB.

1. Here no Skype shows up in Add/Remove to download.

2. The skype I downloaded with Add/Remove was in my dualboot XP/Ubuntu.

am I confusing you? ....................nick

Last edited by nichos; March 16th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.