Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A quick question on software patents...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: A quick question on software patents...

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Since Fluendo is happy to give away the mp3 decoder, I think it's only left out because of Ubuntu's emphasis on using open source software over closed source by default.
    Indeed. And Mono is completely Free Software, whichever way you look at it

As for the actual concept of software patents, I think they're ridiculous. I support software copyrights, where devs can copyright their actual code, but I don't see why patents for the idea of something are worthwhile.
    Absolutely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    FYI, all of the MP3 patent holders have agreed to not pursue anybody who gives away MP3 decoders for free. i.e. not-for-profit.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid

The mere existence of that page puts the "agreement" at risk

It's crazy that Ubuntu still doesn't have MP3 support by default while everybody is practically giving it to them.
    It's hardly a burden, though, to have it install itself on demand. Unless you lack internets, of course. But if it's so safe, why does Fedora also not ship with MP3 playback?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid

The mere existence of that page puts the "agreement" at risk

It's hardly a burden, though, to have it install itself on demand. Unless you lack internets, of course. But if it's so safe, why does Fedora also not ship with MP3 playback?
    That link includes more than just the MP3 decoder, but it also includes decoders and encoders for various other formats. As for the second, it's just a matter of one or two distribution decided not to include the MP3 decoders long ago (Debian and RedHat), and since that day, nobody has changed that.

Though, in 2012, there's no excuse to why distributions won't include the decoder by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Software patents !! Are they legal, are they legitimate ?
    These issues are before the courts in the U.S. right now. The problem emanates from the U.S. but is worldwide.
    Please follow GROKLAW
    All of the companies that file intellectual patents are concerned, as they should be. Putting a patent on processes, like "double-clicking" , or sneezing has gotten out of hand, exacerbated by extreme court decisions, for example RIM's loss of $456Million to a patent troll (WashPost)
    Greed and dishonesty prevail.
    Canonical is taking the proper course, they don't need to jump into lawsuits as Microsoft would love this to happen. It's a minefield.
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans

That's *everything*, from a business manager. Everything. GNOME, KDE, the Kernel, everything that ships in a standard SLES package. Are you suggesting everything in SLES be removed from Ubuntu, including XOrg, because Novell customers get patent protection on it?

Here you go, show me where: http://www.microsoft.com/interop/msn...agreement.mspx

Fedora ships Mono

The Ubuntu Desktop team, like I already said
    I said I would not post in recurring threads but you leave me no choice due to your error here:

Fedora does not ship mono on its livecd , so next time you decide to bring that up again, take note.

cheers
    nl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by neighborlee View Post
    I said I would not post in recurring threads but you leave me no choice due to your error here:
    No error, despite what you may believe

Fedora does not ship mono on its livecd , so next time you decide to bring that up again, take note.
    Due to space constraints, that's true - the LiveCD does not contain Mono. The actual install media, however, does. Fedora, unlike Ubuntu, does not use a LiceCD as its primary means of installation.

Beans

No error, despite what you may believe

Due to space constraints, that's true - the LiveCD does not contain Mono. The actual install media, however, does. Fedora, unlike Ubuntu, does not use a LiceCD as its primary means of installation.
    What makes you sure its space constraints ?

I dont recall version wize, but I think fedora 9 is when mono apps were no longer part of default install, so I seriously doubt it had anything to do with space but if you can verify thats fine.

Based on this ( feel free to discredit it JUST because its from that hateful fud'ing site ..:

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/08/15/...-in-fedora-10/ , I doubt sincerely it was due to space, due to as noted that fedora is drawing a wide birth around moonlight

cheers
    nl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by neighborlee View Post
    What makes you sure its space constraints ?

I dont recall version wize, but I think fedora 9 is when mono apps were no longer part of default install, so I seriously doubt it had anything to do with space but if you can verify thats fine.
    "Default install" or "Live CD"? You've shown yourself to be confused by the difference before, and I don't really want to waste my time downloading a fedora image if you're just going to go "oh whoops I meant something else"

Based on this ( feel free to discredit it JUST because its from that hateful fud'ing site ..:
    It comes pre-discredited, not only because of the site it's posted on, but also because the entire post is about your pseudo-research.

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/08/15/...-in-fedora-10/ , I doubt sincerely it was due to space, due to as noted that fedora is drawing a wide birth around moonlight [/QUOTE]

Okay then. Where would Mono (which is a large dependency on non-Debian-based OSes) fit, given the Fedora 10 LiveCD image currently weighs in at 684 MiB?

And what has Moonlight got to do with it? Start talking about OOXML while you're at it, and the party will be complete!

And why isn't Mono on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems if it's been removed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thread closed, as it's been hijacked by a running spat from another closed thread.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123