Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a transition from windows..

Beans
    Hidden!

Making a transition from windows..

Hello all. I'm transitioning from windows and I'm very new to Linux (Xubuntu). I have the most recent version of Xubuntu, and I have a few newbie questions. I've tried google searching and I can't find sufficient answers for a lot of my questions, so please bear with me. (Note: I'm typing this on my XP laptop, not on my Linux laptop, because I can't get a wireless connection)

1. How do I get to use the Power Management that you see when you hit the "Help" button? I believe it's called GNOME Power Management, and on the screen, it has settings that lets you control CPU speed and stuff. The one I have right now just has settings for dimming the screen, and shutting down when battery is low.

2. I can't seem to get it connected to the wireless network. I did a few google searches and it keeps telling me to use an fdisk command. When I open up the command prompt and type what they say in, it tells me its unrecognized. If it helps, the text before I type in the command says <grub> or something along those lines.

Thank you guys in advance.

Additional Questions: (if you guys don't mind)
    4. In power management, I set the laptop to do a blank screen if I close the lid. When I close the lid is completely messes up the screen (it's not black/"blank"). Any reasons why, and if so, is there any way to fix this or should I set it to "Do Nothing" when I close the lid?

5. How do I disable the double-clicking feature on the Touch Pad? (I only want to be able to double click with the buttons)

EDIT #2: If it helps anyone with these questions, I'm using an old Latitude D400.
    EDIT #3: Question 3 was answered.
    Last edited by Linuxperiment; November 15th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Making a transition from windows..

1) System>Preferences>Power Management

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm afraid I might not be of much help, but I'll try anyway.

1. Try right-clicking on one of the panels. There should be an add-to-panel section, click that. Then a list of little icons should appear, and one of them should be described as a "CPU speed governor" or something like that. That at least will display your current CPU speed, but I don't know how to modify it on Xubuntu to make the CPU speed controllable by the user. A Xubuntu user is needed here..

2. I'm afraid I can't help here either

3. Finally, I can be of use! I think Xubuntu probably comes with "Pidgin". It's a multi-protocol IM client, which means it can do AIM, MSN Messenger, Jabber, Yahoo, etc. This should get you started, but there might be a better AIM-only client out there for linux, I don't know.

Pidgin can be accessed through Applications > Internet > Pidgin instant messenger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

2. fdisk and grub are in no way related to wireless, ill try and help you with that in a bit though when i get to my desktop. can you tell me what wireless card you are using?

3. there should be a program called pidgin (should be in the internet section of your apps menu) which you can use as an alternative to AIM
    Last edited by marshall.robert; November 15th, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
    Dell Vostro 1500: Intel T7250, 4GB RAM (800MHz), nVidia 8600M GT, Intel 3945AGB Pro Wireless.
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Windows 7 dual boot (damn games!)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by FreewheelinFrank View Post
    1) System>Preferences>Power Management
    Yeah when I went there, I clicked on the "Help" screen and in that image was the power management I wanted

Beans
    Distro

Welcome to Ubuntu.
    Wireless - first we need to find out what wireless card/chipset you have. Go to Applications-Accessories-Terminal and type in
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    Please post the product and vendor information here for the wireless interface. From there we can work out what wireless firmware drivers are required.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbert View Post
    Welcome to Ubuntu.
    Wireless - first we need to find out what wireless card/chipset you have. Go to Applications-Accessories-Terminal and type in
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    Please post the product and vendor information here for the wireless interface. From there we can work out what wireless firmware drivers are required.
    Okay I did it, and here's what I got:

Product: NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet
    Vendor: Broadcom Corporation

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyways, I added up some new questions if you guys are interested. Sorry for the bombardment of them, I just have a lot of them.

Beans
    Distro

BCM5705M - that's the wired connection. If there isn't another network product we'll need to try another terminal command:
    Code:
    lspci
    Please look for the line with wireless lan and report back the make, model and revision.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans
    Hidden!

I typed it in, and it looks like there is nothing for wireless. If it helps at all, it's an old Latitude D400. I googled a question asking if latitude d400s have wireless cards, and they said yes. Now I'm not so sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast