Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Linux distro....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Creating a Linux distro....

So you are going to create a LiveCD with Ubuntu Intrepid and some different software and you are saying it's another Linux distribution?!

You're having a laugh (I hope).

Ready to download in a few days time? Doesn't have a name yet? You clearly haven't a clue what you're doing.
    Last edited by JohnFH; November 17th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFH View Post
    So you are going to create a LiveCD with Ubuntu Intrepid and some different software and you are saying it's another Linux distribution?!

You're having a laugh (I hope).
    well my buddy called me and said that we could not release the "distro" yet so it might not be released anything from me in a while. However what we need now is help form you finding a name...!

We are going to work on tweaking the system now. This will include this:
    -Improved boot speed
    -Enhancing the system and software on it
    -Making the system more "snappy"
    -And more...

And then I ask you do you guys:
    -Is there anything you would like to have in a Linux distribution that does not exist?
    -Is the name ZippixOS a "OK" name?
    -Can you mention 3 things you are dissapointeted with in Ubuntu...?

Beans
    Distro

What is that wonderful CMS you guys are using on your site? Is it Joomla, Xoops, or something else?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    thanks a lot for those scrpits sir! They are making this a whole lot easier!
    you're welcome

Thats why I made the scripts to make life easier

The scripts are well within a working state and are stable, and are constantly updated, I'll give you more info as I manage to work some things out first.
    Last edited by chris4585; November 17th, 2008 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    What is that wonderful CMS you guys are using on your site? Is it Joomla, Xoops, or something else?
    it is called "Drupal". The fun thing with that is that you don't have to know any HTML at all, but then of course the website would be boring and not something different.

www.drupal.org

Beans
    Distro

About the LiveCD my friend found something even easier! it is called remastersys read more here: http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/

Beans
    Distro

OK I am calling it TuxOS now. This is the final name for the distro. I have a question....Should I release a light version of TuxOS (MOdded GNOME to be as light as possible. Addational software is not included etc...) and a KDE version of TuxOS as well?

NOTE: TuxOS with KDE will not come before KDE 4.1 because of performance issues!

Beans

Well, I congratulate you on your wanting to make a new OS, but what about contributing to the current ones? Jaunty (the next Ubuntu release) is focusing on improved boot time and how fast it is perceived as one of its main goals. Ubuntu is already pretty fast considering how much hardware it has to support.

I, also, wanted to create a new distro around the same time you have been around. I am, in fact, involved with an Arch-based LiveCD group which wants to use E17 as their environment and Arch because of its speed. It is doing something which there is nothing for, though, whereas there are plenty of liveCDs/liveDVDs which fill your niche already (look at Ultimate Edition Linux). I think if you want to create a distro, find a niche which doesn't have a project for it yet and use it.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Well, I congratulate you on your wanting to make a new OS, but what about contributing to the current ones? Jaunty (the next Ubuntu release) is focusing on improved boot time and how fast it is perceived as one of its main goals. Ubuntu is already pretty fast considering how much hardware it has to support.

I, also, wanted to create a new distro around the same time you have been around. I am, in fact, involved with an Arch-based LiveCD group which wants to use E17 as their environment and Arch because of its speed. It is doing something which there is nothing for, though, whereas there are plenty of liveCDs/liveDVDs which fill your niche already (look at Ultimate Edition Linux). I think if you want to create a distro, find a niche which doesn't have a project for it yet and use it.
    The boy speaks sense! This is a far better use of your time and effort and you will get more reward out of it at the end.

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm....this gave me an idea

However I am only working on the concept for a new distro so nothing is really made yet.

However what I am going to do (my idea) is making a lightweight, but yet fully featured desktop working out-of-the-box.....I have never seen that yet! I will base this on Debian 5. I will take a further look at it now...I will inform you tomorrow how this will be.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast