Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Creating a Linux distro....

Beans

Re: Creating a Linux distro....

@ Gjoellee : I think you should have stuck with the name ZippexOS, it has much more character than TuxOS

@ The negative folks : In my opinion Linux for me stands for choice. Its not a cheap alternative, its not somewhere to go when your anti-MS, its a choice. People should be able to make what they want, learn how they want, and use what they want. K.Mandala speaks the wisdom

Also on a note about making whats already made. If someone would have made a remix of Ubuntu similar to what im doing i would be using it right now. Why? Because i like having a nice clean desktop. No junk floating around the place, just purely what i use. In addition, for me, Xubuntu just didnt seem to cut it for me untill Ibex came out. It felt awkward to me. Niggley little things annoyed me too such as the 3 scound delay after everytime i put in my password and something happening. It may have just been a hardware issue. But when i used the Ubuntu minimal install with XFCE on top it just flew! Far faster than i thought was possible on a Debian based distro. It also seemed quite a few folk had done that and agreed, look over my created threads, youll find the post somewhere. Anywhos, theres 2 reasons why i created something that had already been done. Everyone should have that option when using Linux for whatever reasons they want

/ramble off hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate, I guess. But at the same time, in an atmosphere that fosters creativity and choice, stunting someone else just because it's "been done" seems harsh.
    That's certainly not 'just' the reason I'm saying he's going about this the wrong way and if it was, then I would agree that it seems harsh. However, I see no evidence of a willingness to learn from the OP. What I see is someone who wants the glory of having his own distro but without recognising he has a lot to learn and without putting in the effort to learn how to do it or even what a Linux distribution is.

If the OP wants to make a proper distribution, then he should read this:
    How to make your own Linux distribution.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am also interested in creating a 'distro' out of Ubuntu for specific hardware. Gjoellee maybe we can compare notes...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sure

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456