Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Linux distro....

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Creating a Linux distro....

Hi there, me and my friend are going to try to make a new Linux ditribution which will be based on Ubuntu. We do have plans for making it available to the public if it becomes a success.

Read more about how the distro is so far here: http://kshoster.net/node/105

We wonder what you would like to have in new out-of-the-box Linux distro....

(No suggestions are stupid!)
    Last edited by gjoellee; November 16th, 2008 at 12:10 PM.

Beans

Re: Creating a Linux distro....

How can you tell your distro is a success before you've maked it available to the public?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mevem View Post
    How can you tell your distro is a success before you've maked it available to the public?
    DOH....

hmmm.....if it works fine, is that better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've decided to become a billionaire tomorrow. Just had a chat with a friend of mine and we think it would be good as we don't have much money today. Just need to figure out how, that's all. Any ideas?

Oh and I'll donate some to Ubuntu of course, probably by 3pm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Hi there, me and my friend are going to try to make a new Linux ditribution which will be based on Ubuntu. We do have plans for making it available to the public if it becomes a success.

We wonder what you would like to have in new out-of-the-box Linux distro....

(No suggestions are stupid!)
    Not many people will be able to help you with just that so instead of suggesting things for your new distro, ill suggest some things before you ask for suggestions Why? Because if your making a distro for speed id suggest midori as your browser. Functionality then Opera. For light weightness i say Abiword, for full office id say Open Office. Its hard to make suggestions for something you know nothing about you see?

Try to find an idea for what the distros about, speed? Office use? Games? Just darn sexyness?

What desktop enviroment will you use? KDE? Gnome? XFCE? E17?

Is there a branch of Ubuntu youd like it to be similar too? Such as Mint? OzOs?

Some good examples of this by the way. Puppy linux tries to be lightweight, have a look at thier apps and youll see a truly lightweight distro. Mint is a full OS that doesnt mind being a heavyweight. Look at what they include if you want a 'inludes everything and the kitchen sink' distro. Im trying to make my own little web based distro. Not bothering with office apps but having bulky web based stuff (flock, Vuse, maybe a couple of MMO's). See where im going?

Figure them out, come up with an idea for each of them at least, then ask for suggestions Youll get much more helpfull feedback
    Last edited by Naiki Muliaina; November 15th, 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Beans

how are you going to make the LiveCD for your distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Take out any useless programs and use the more popular/functional programs eg deluge instead of transmission while still making sure it's simple enough for the average pc user to follow. Try and make sure it works with as much hardware as possible and include all music and video codecs.

Make it simple but with the advanced options still there.

You need to set a longtime goal for your distro. Do you want to make it very lightweight or do you want to make it the most complete thing ever that can do anything or do you just want to focus it around listening and editting music?

Beans

Make a seriously minimalist distribution. No, not Openbox please. There's already plenty of hobbyist Openbox distros around, no offense to any of them intended. If you want to make a distro, at least make something distinctly new. Try a tiling window manager. Have a preference for command line applications over graphical ones where functionality is not lost--try not using any GUI file managers, for example.

You could also try making a distro that includes everything and the kitchen sink, but I doubt that would be of any use since Ubuntu already has the kitchen sink and a bathtub to boot.
    My blog about random things I do in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seems as though your going about it in reverse.

Most distros are born like so:

Got itch --> Create distro to scratch it

you going "What's itchy?" route.

Not a bad route, just not the usual way.

Beans
    Distro

OK more info about the distro:

-It is based on Ubuntu 8.10
    -It has Thunderbord instead of Evolution
    -It has aMSN with plugins and themes included replaced with Pidgin
    -I am going to use Mint Menu or something similar
    -It includes more games like Urban Terror
    -OpenOffice-org 3
    -Abiword
    -VLC Media player
    -Gstreamer flash and Java by default
    -A theme using the Aurora GTK engine
    -Giver (a LAN fileshare program)
    -More wallpapers, more themes, more GDM themes, more bootslpashes
    -Filezilla
    -Amarok 2.0 (not yet sure)
    -Gnome Do
    -Uses Crystal Icons by default
    -Has a login slpash
    -More Linux Mint like
    -Checkinstall
    -Alien
    -More GTK engines
    -Compiz and Envy
    -And other things will be removed/added/enhanced by request of the people in the world

I am focusing on making a stable and reliable system that should fit for everyone. It will be easy to use and easy to customise. We will try to develop solutions so you can avoid using the terminal as much as possible, and find solutions to common issues found in the Ubuntu forums. We do also have a wish to have a graphical terminal emulator.

The system will be available with USB and maybe with DVD
    Ideas from YOU will help improve this new distro.
    It will only be available as x86 edition, x86_64 may come later
    I will maybe make the distro on KDE after KDE 4.2 comes out.

I do also need a name for the distro, I have just been calling in TuxOS, but the distro will not actually have something with tuxes to do so a name for the distro would be nice to have....you guys decide!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast