Thread: Permissions

Beans

Permissions

I have hooked up a firewire drive and can't change the permissions from root to user to allow my windows machine to see it?

Beans

Re: Permissions

well you may have to enter super user do mode in a terminal to get what you need.
    I am not 100% sure on how to do what you need to do but a good starting point is to open up a terminal and put in the command sudo
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Let's open up the file manager as root. Open the terminal and type in:

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Great. Now we have a graphical interface for our task. Press the "go" button at the top, and press on "Computer"

Your device should be listed there as an icon. Right-click, go to permissions and edit as desired.

Beans

I have the same problem as the first guy. But with a USB flash drive. I changed the format from fat32 too ext3 and ever since then I can't save anything in it or create folders nothing. Tried changing formats around thinking it was that. But realized later that some how the Owner got changed from "user" to "root". I tried that last guys idea and found that doesn't work. Or at least that there isn't an option to change the "owner". "Properties" is grayed out even with the drive I have access already.

I know it is something probably so simple and stupid that it is right in front of my face. I just can't see it.

Sisco