Thread: Video playback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Video playback

I upgraded from 8.04.1 to 8.10. Video worked fine in 8.04.1. Now, when there are "fast" moving sequences, choppy lines cut through the video. Any ideas what happened; how to fix it (besides downgrading)?

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Video playback

Which media player you are using to view your video files?
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

double post
    Last edited by Bölvağur; November 15th, 2008 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

does it happen on every moving thing? (windows, flash video, opengl.. like games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by taurus View Post
    Which media player you are using to view your video files?
    VLC and Totem. Any video.

Beans

I have this same problem. Things like youtube work fine, but when I try to play video files on Totem or VLC, the picture flickers loads. I have found that switching my appearance settings to "none" eliminates the problem, but I would prefer if there was another solution that allowed me to keep some of the visual effects as well. I am using a ATI Radeon HD 3450. Has anyone got any suggestions, bearing in mind that I am very new to Ubuntu and Linux in general?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by agwblack View Post
    I have this same problem. Things like youtube work fine, but when I try to play video files on Totem or VLC, the picture flickers loads. I have found that switching my appearance settings to "none" eliminates the problem, but I would prefer if there was another solution that allowed me to keep some of the visual effects as well. I am using a ATI Radeon HD 3450. Has anyone got any suggestions, bearing in mind that I am very new to Ubuntu and Linux in general?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But, I don't use desktop effects. I have an integrated Intel graphics card.

Beans

*BUMP* Some help on this would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Hi, I'm not really sure what the problem is. Could you install mplayer and see if you still get the same problems with it?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer
    Then start some video you know you've had problems with, and when the video is playing and you have the active video in front of you click on the letter "d" until you see framedropping enabled.

If this works (you don't get as many lines and whatnot) then it's a problem with your computer not rendering the video and sound tracks together at the same time.

There's probably some option in VLC to enable frame dropping, not quite sure where though. If this doesn't help then play around with the video output formats.

@ agwblack Highjacking a thread isn't exactly nice. Try different video output formats (or get different drivers for you graphic card) Opengl + compiz doesn't always work well together.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whitethorn View Post
    @ agwblack Highjacking a thread isn't exactly nice. Try different video output formats (or get different drivers for you graphic card) Opengl + compiz doesn't always work well together.
    Apologies, I'm very new, not fully aware of etiquette and so on. Thanks very much for your help though.