Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howto: offline / local dictionary the easy way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: offline / local dictionary the easy way

Noobs*McGee: Try changing your hostname from localhost to 127.0.0.1 and see if that works. Let me know if that solves the problem and I'll revise the original post. I had trouble too after upgrading to jaunty.
    MSI x350 / Ubuntu Natty 11.04 (64 bit)
    Poems at---------------jonreeve.com---------------

Beans

Try changing your hostname from localhost to 127.0.0.1 and see if that works
    I had the same problem and switching from localhost to 127.0.0.1 solved it for me (on Jaunty)

Beans
    Distro

Hey, sorry it took me so long to respond, I haven't been online in a few days.

jon.reeve, your suggestion to switch the host name to 127.0.0.1 seems to have done the trick, it works great now. Thanks a ton for your help

Beans

that realy helped ... thnx

Beans

Thanks for the howto. It was very easy to implement.

How would I go about making it so that it searches all available dictionaries? Dict.org seems to have the meta-file "All Dictionaries (English-only and English-translating)" for this purpose and that's really all I need.

Beans

I don't like StarDict too. It is resource full, but I find it messy. But what does really matter, the functions or the content? If we are talking about a dictionary, it is definitively the content.
    With StarDict, you can use most of the Babylon Dictionaries O-O-B (for free). They are on SourceForge on the download page. You will only have to convert them, from the Babylon website, if you are looking for the last edition or some missing dictionaries.

Agreed, the GNOME-Dic, and now Fantasdic have a nice GUI and they are easier to use (a big minus for a missing scan function). This thread, and another before this one, explains how to use local dictionaries, even though, initially these are on-line tools (especially Fantasdic with Jap. dic.). But if you do any serious job with a dictionary off-line, you are (sadly?) back to the source with "StarDict" unless someone comes with a tool to convert Babylon files in other formats? Fantastic has the project to implement StarDict format. That could be a solution, but that's not done yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jon.reeve View Post

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dict-moby-thesaurus
    Now to configure Dictionary, open the Dictionary program (in <Hardy it's in Accessories, in Intrepid it's under Office), go into Edit -> Preferences, click on "Add" to add a source, then under "Description" give it a name like "Local Dictionaries," under "hostname" type "localhost" [EDIT: In Jaunty and later you might try putting "127.0.0.1" (without the quotes) instead; see below] and leave the port number the same. Now click "add" and now whenever you're offline you can choose "Local Dictionaries" from "Dictionary Sources" and access your dictionaries offline!
    OK; thanks, but this does not explain if we want to have 2 or more dictionaries.It seems that there is no way to install more than one and let the program know which one to select...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sopadeajo View Post
    OK; thanks, but this does not explain if we want to have 2 or more dictionaries.It seems that there is no way to install more than one and let the program know which one to select...
    What problems are you having with installing more than one dictionary? For me, it's as simple as installing more dictionary packages. For example, I installed the Collaborative English Dictionary, a French-English dictionary and an English-French dictionary this way:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dict-gcide dict-freedict-fra-eng dict-freedict-eng-fra
    And I can install as many as I want. Now the Dictionary application lists several dictionaries under "available dictionaries."
    MSI x350 / Ubuntu Natty 11.04 (64 bit)
    Poems at---------------jonreeve.com---------------

Beans

Hello. I want to install a greek-english dictionary but there is no such thing in the repos. Is it posible to find it from another source and install it under ubuntu or should it be already prepared in some sort of way. Cheers

Beans

sudo apt-get install dict-gcide dict-freedict-fra-eng dict-freedict-eng-fra

I already update but I cannot find the application

Can you help me, please?

Last edited by sitthykun; June 24th, 2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: I forgot reference command

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast