Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] various update,upgrade, CD boot problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: various update,upgrade, CD boot problems

I installed pysdm (storage device manager) and when I look at sda1 general configuration and use the assistant it has checked to mount at boot time. But it said the name was sdb8. I changed it to sda1 and clicked APPLY. I go to dynamic configuration rules and the attributes say the name is still sdb8 and on the bottom left of the sdm window it says it's /dev/sdb8. Now that's a problem. The mount as you helped me to do worked and I was able to read/write the partition, but when I went to do the things to make it mount at startup I found this little twist. I'm a little afraid to re-boot now because maybe It will kill one or the other or both of the partitions sda1/sdb8. I attached a screenshot of it. What do you make of it?

Oh, I'm going to re-boot anyway, so I'll let you know if anything bad happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

So, I rebooted and it's up. Still the system has confusion over devices and mount points. Some device such as sdb8 or sdb3 etc gets mounted on sda1, while sda1 gets mounted nowhere. So I did the mount command you suggested earlier and it works and I can get to the real sda1, but when I get more time I'd like to sort through the strange device mapping that occurs when this thing boots up. If you'd like me to put together an accurate picture of what gets mounted and where (such as with gparted, sdm, and file browser to go through contents of certain files) let me know what would be useful for you to get a picture of what's happenning, OK? I'd really appreciate it. For now I can get to sda1 and all the others but I'd like to get it straight the way it should be. Thanks.

Beans

I'm not familiar with using pysdm because I normally just edit my /etc/fstab manually; how about posting:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    And I'll try to help you sort out the mounting issues.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I edited fstab and made sure all the devices were mounted at the correct place and I rebooted and now they are all there and I can access them all. Thanks so much fo helping. One quick question: how do I keep a log of the entire boot process from the text phase thru the gui phase? I'd like to see what all happens. I'd like to install updates but until I can know what might hang this thing up I'm afraid to do it. How to back up before I go? Maybe just burn this partition to DVD or back it up to a different ext3 partition on a flash drive?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by two4two View Post
    OK, I edited fstab and made sure all the devices were mounted at the correct place and I rebooted and now they are all there and I can access them all. Thanks so much fo helping. One quick question: how do I keep a log of the entire boot process from the text phase thru the gui phase? I'd like to see what all happens. I'd like to install updates but until I can know what might hang this thing up I'm afraid to do it. How to back up before I go? Maybe just burn this partition to DVD or back it up to a different ext3 partition on a flash drive?
    I read there's been some changes in the way Intrepid logs the boot process vs. previous Ubuntu versions; problem is I can't remember the details. But most of the boot process messages you can see with:
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    Also, if you want to backup your partition, there is "Clonezilla", and "partimage" is available in the repositories. Or if you want to be a little geeky about it and use the command line, you can use:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sdb3 bs=10M conv=notrunc,noerror | bzip2 -c > ~/Desktop/sdb3.bz2
    That will make a clone of the sdb3 partition and save it to your desktop in compressed form so you won't end up with a full ~15 GB file (the size of the sdb3 partition). And then to restore the sdb3 image:
    Code:
    bzcat ~/Desktop/sdb3.bz2 | dd of=/dev/sdb3 bs=10M conv=notrunc,noerror
    And of course you would want to put that "sdb3.bz2" partition image somewhere other than in your sdb3 partition. Anyway, good luck with it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks so much. You've fixed every one of my problems for me. I'll mark this thread resolved. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your part in helping me get this straightened. You helped me find out where the install or live CD process stopped, both in this 8.04 and in the 8.10 versions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123