Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC

Beans

Angry Re: Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC

HI Flub,
    With your instructions, I will be able to boot to SDHC from the GRUB loader in the HDD. My BIOS is able to boot to the SD Card. My BIOS will treat this as a HDD 0x80 ( sda) when we boot. I would like to know how to configure the GRUB to boot from SD card directly.

Thanks
    Siva

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC

Quote Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
    I believe the issue is the computer not having some key piece of ROM firmware to make the SD readers accessable on startup. At least that's what its starting to sound like- and believe me, it won't be the first massive bug in the AAO ROMs.

*glares at the x.org screen brightness reporting bug*
    I think this is correct. In addition to having grub, you will probably at least need the intraramfs with the sd card capabilities on the boot drive.

Beans

HI Flub,
    In the latest Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 , We dont need to use the USB card reader to install. You can insert in the sd card slot itself.

Thanks
    Siva

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aladi View Post
    HI Flub,
    In the latest Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 , We dont need to use the USB card reader to install. You can insert in the sd card slot itself.
    Has this been tested on all ROM revisions of AAO?
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans

I thought that this was more of a BIOS issue, not a ubuntu issue. Are you using a different version of the BIOS?

Beans

The only trick required is to put the following modules into initrd.img that is in /boot:

* mmc_block
    * sdhci
    * sdhci-pci

grub (and the kernel it boots) can then find the sdhc device contains the root directory
    Does anybody know how to perform this with Grub2? In only one week Karmic will be out and I want to find the solution asap :s

Thanks in advance

Beans

At last I found a solution ...

A. Install Ubuntu with :

148 MB partition on SSD (internal disk) as /boot
    The rest of SSD as /media/extra (I will use as an extra unit to save documents, can contain another OS if you like)

750 MB partition on SDHC card as <swap> (Not sure if necessary but it works very well)
    The rest of SDHC card as /

B. When Ubuntu installation is done, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and:

1. Type: sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    2. Add the following lines at the end of the file:

mmc_core
    mmc_block
    sdhci
    sdhci-pci

3. Save the file.

4. Type: sudo /usr/sbin/update-initramfs.distrib -u

5. Mount the SSD (boot) unit clicking at Places>148 MB Filesystem
    6. Mount SD HC unit clicking at Places>(Unit size, in my case 7.4 GB Filesystem)

7. Copy the file into de boot folder from SSD:

sudo cp /boot/initrd.img-* /media/X (X is the SSD folder, can be a very long name like: ad73823737a-3923f98-k09sd8f798sd)

8. Add the following lines at the end of the file (/etc/initramfs-tools/modules) from the SD HC card:

sudo gedit /media/Y/etc/initramfs-tools/modules (Y is the SD HC folder, can be a very long name like: daba2355f-3454...)

mmc_core
    mmc_block
    sdhci
    sdhci-pci

9. Save the file.

10. Restart the computer and remove the USB live Ubuntu it will boot Ubuntu installed at SD HC card (In my case there's a message error at GRUB2, but it still works after some seconds)

I don't know if it's necessary, but when Ubuntu is running again (its first run from SD HC) you can run: sudo /sbin/update-initramfs.distrib -u
    Using one SDHC 30Mb/s R/W card, "Acer Aspire One" works very well (in fact is usable, it wasn't with the SSD internal drive).
    Last edited by optimisme; October 25th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has been able to do this with WinXP on the SDHC. There are rare occassions where vmware or wine just doesn't cut it.
    Thanks

Beans

Do you mean running Windows XP from the SD card? I'd have to think about that a little. I would wonder about hardware / licensing issues when it comes to XP. It looks like there are at least a couple of threads out there for booting XP from a pen drive which would be a good place to start. What primary OS would you have on the HD?

- flub

Beans

The method still working for newer Acer Aspire Ones without the the left side SDHC reader.

I am using a AAO D255 with an ENE SDHC card reader.

The difference is that the /etc/initramfs-tools/module file must include a line for the keucr module.

This module is experimental. In Ubuntu 11.04 the module that comes with the instalation works ok.

version 10.10 and older need a recompiled version. Detailled instructions how to compile the keucr module here:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/309

You'll need to reboot after generating the initrd module with the keucr module.
    Last edited by jorlando; May 6th, 2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: minor typo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast