Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will you recommend this ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

will you recommend this ?

hi,

i am actually having windows in my other partition solely because of MS Office. so i have decided(not yet implemented) to use ubuntu fully in my system hard disk while using windows only via virtual box.But i may need to create/edit MS office documents and transfer them to my thumb drives through that virtual box itself.

would you recommend me do the above thing. will that prove reliable ?

please help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: will you recommend this ?

with virtualbox you can share directly folders from the host to the guest... you could then just auto-link to save the docs on the host system. That should run well.

Beans

USB support is only available in the non-open source version of VirtualBox, so make sure you're using the version from the website, not from the ubuntu repositories.

That method may prove awkward, but fundamentally I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Perhaps a better option would be to set up a sharing folder between the guest OS and the host, and copy files to your USB key from there via the ubuntu front end.

I expect you could even set up your USB key as the destination of the shared folder ^^
    Core i7 920 D0, 12GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you're not using any of the "advanced" features of MS office, you should try Open Office. It is easy to use, and is compatible with all MS office formats. It should be installed with ubuntu by default.
    CUSTOM BUILT|AMD ATHLON 64 FX-62|DUAL CORE|4GB RAM|3.875 TB HARD DRIVE SPACE
    WINDOWS 7|UBUNTU 9.04 JAUNTY JACKALOPE|SABAYON 4.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

cool ! thanks.
    i am actually a CS student. i know there wont be any problem in programming if i switch to ubuntu.
    i Dont play games. i am an active internet user. i may want to program in .net in future. i currently do programming in java. i want to operate my ipod whatsoever.
    from your experiences, what are the problems i may face if i do what i said before.. i mean.. using windows through virtualbox...
    and another question... is ubuntu really ready for desktop users.. playing music, video, using digi cams, ipods... etc.,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I`ve never used windows (except at work)
    I play music and videos. I have an ipod video, a digital camera, a video camera etc etc etc and use them all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I know that Programming in java is not a problem for linux. I've used eclipse just fine in ubuntu. As for .net, I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough to say one way or another.

I've been using ubuntu for a couple of years now as my primary OS, and the only things I've needed to use windows for is with my iPod touch (iTunes) and for my newer games. My older ipods work just fine in linux alone, but the touch is a little more finnicky. If you're interested in music, check out amarok. Ubuntu may not be able to do everything, but imho, it is definately ready for desktop users.
    CUSTOM BUILT|AMD ATHLON 64 FX-62|DUAL CORE|4GB RAM|3.875 TB HARD DRIVE SPACE
    WINDOWS 7|UBUNTU 9.04 JAUNTY JACKALOPE|SABAYON 4.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by luckydeveloper View Post
    cool ! thanks.
    i am actually a CS student. i know there wont be any problem in programming if i switch to ubuntu.
    i Dont play games. i am an active internet user. i may want to program in .net in future. i currently do programming in java. i want to operate my ipod whatsoever.
    from your experiences, what are the problems i may face if i do what i said before.. i mean.. using windows through virtualbox...
    and another question... is ubuntu really ready for desktop users.. playing music, video, using digi cams, ipods... etc.,
    As far as programming is concerned, you can use netbeans or eclipse on Ubuntu for Java development. If you want to program in .net, you can use mono which contains a c-sharp compiler. It even has bindings with gtk to develop graphical interfaces.

As for your other questions: there are plenty of applications to play music, video, digi cams, etc. To name a few: vlc, totem, mplayer, amarok, digicam for digital cameras. I don't have an ipod, so I don't have any experience with ipod software, although I have read that there is software available for ubuntu.
    If this is all you use your pc for, then you can easily switch to Ubuntu. Besides as a CS major, it has a lot of advantages to be able to use (and tinker) with a unix like environment. (Speak from experience, I am a CS major myself).

Join the club! Who needs Windows?
    Ubuntu User #12366
    Read my blog for my experiences with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by roelpeeters View Post
    As far as programming is concerned, you can use netbeans or eclipse on Ubuntu for Java development. If you want to program in .net, you can use mono which contains a c-sharp compiler. It even has bindings with gtk to develop graphical interfaces.

As for your other questions: there are plenty of applications to play music, video, digi cams, etc. To name a few: vlc, totem, mplayer, amarok, digicam for digital cameras. I don't have an ipod, so I don't have any experience with ipod software, although I have read that there is software available for ubuntu.
    If this is all you use your pc for, then you can easily switch to Ubuntu. Besides as a CS major, it has a lot of advantages to be able to use (and tinker) with a unix like environment. (Speak from experience, I am a CS major myself).

Join the club! Who needs Windows?
    k.. i am joining your club..

i may have problems after i start working in virtualbox for MS=Office, i guess you people will help me to solve those...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That goes without saying, that's what we are here for!
    Ubuntu User #12366
    Read my blog for my experiences with Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast