Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Car ??

Beans

Hybrid Car ??

I am getting ready to buy another car now. When gas prices were $4 plus, I was really thinking about buying a hybrid. Now with gas prices back down to $2 or less, should I.

I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.

So any feedback of your experience owning a hybrid, or why I should or shoulnt would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Hybrid Car ??

we would've gotten hybrids but they're too expensive. there's no reason not to get a very fuel efficient non hybrid, though.

Beans

hybrids, specifically the prius, suck at performance. If you're doing HEAPS of city driving (60kmh or less, <30mph) then they do better than standard cars, but diesel is pretty damn efficient too and still has the grunt. Get a smaller engined car, like 1.8L and less, and get a manual too. You don't have to flog the car as much to get performance like you do in an auto. Plus manuals are more fuel efficient than auto if you drive economically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Toyota are struggling to shift the Prius model, fact is in normal everyday use outside a heavily developed city environment it's simply not as economical as a similar size diesel car.

These diesel models aren't available everywhere so my advice would be to get a normal Japanese car, it will be less harmful to the environment overall, because it won't have large toxic batteries to dispose of in a few years time.

Beans

Well it depends on what do you want to use the car for. I am a student, started working and most of the time I go alone in the car to: work, school, shopping. So for me I got a diesel Smart. You only get 2 seats but you can't get much more fuel efficient than this Smart.
    Well of course I'm in Europe, don't know the availability and price for this car out there...
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans

When I bought my Ford hybrid, I qualified for a $3000 Federal tax credit and a $500 state credit. I figure that with these credits taken into account, the additional initial outlay for the hybrid is compensated over a period of two years @ $4.00/gal, or four years at $2.00/gal. Were those tax credits not available, I would not have purchased the hybrid.

My personal performance assessment is that for city driving, the hybrid has a snappier response power-wise than the corresponding gas-only engine. Highway performance seems the opposite. There is also less of an improvement in mileage for highway driving than for city.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my hybrid, but if your driving habits consist mostly of highway driving then you are probably better off with a conventional vehicle.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gas prices are more than likely to go up again within the next 4/5 years too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Technology for clean, alternative energy has been around for more than 100 years, but somehow was never applied due to greed. (Please research before replying)
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Beans

Where do you live? Look closely at what government programs give you a tax rebate for buying a hybrid, as there are many programs. I believe (at least in NYS) if I were to buy a Nissan Altima hybrid I would save $2000 on my taxes, which would cut about half the difference between the hybrid and the standard version.

I think the decision should be based mainly on your driving habits. If you do a lot of city driving, then by all means look into a hybrid. If you do highway/freeway driving a lot, then I doubt a hybrid would benefit you.

PS: as a cyclist, I hate hybrids. You can't hear those damn things coming, and all of a sudden a car is going by less than a foot to your left. Can't we at least make them noisier?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Where do you live? Look closely at what government programs give you a tax rebate for buying a hybrid, as there are many programs. I believe (at least in NYS) if I were to buy a Nissan Altima hybrid I would save $2000 on my taxes, which would cut about half the difference between the hybrid and the standard version.
    No offense meant, but I live in the rest of the world.
    EDIT: Sorry if that sounded sarcastic (it wasn't meant that way)
    Last edited by eternalnewbee; November 14th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast