Thread: automate install of mysql-server

Beans

automate install of mysql-server

In order to install mysql-server I do this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -y mysql-server
    But, the installation process pops up a blue dialog asking for a root password.

I need to completely automate the installation of mysql-server.

This post on the Forum Archives has a solution, but it didn't work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-677482.html

It was a good start, though. Here is what I needed to do in order to prevent the prompt from happening:

Code:
    echo "mysql-server mysql-server/root_password select (password omitted)" | debconf-set-selections
    echo "mysql-server mysql-server/root_password_again select (password omitted)" | debconf-set-selections
    I put those lines in my setup script and then the mysql-server installation doesn't prompt for a root password.

Beans

Re: automate install of mysql-server

That worked perfectly, to clear up any confusion others may have... The lines he provided should be placed right above your apt-get install command for MySQL, within the bash script you are using to automate the process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it does work indeed like expected; however what is the password when this is installed? it's not blank, and neither is it one of the default passwords one might expect.

Beans

The correct commands are

echo "mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server/root_password password your_mysql_root_password" | debconf-set-selections
    echo "mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server/root_password_again password your_mysql_root_password" | debconf-set-selections
    sudo apt-get -y install mysql-server-5.1