Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub Error 17, Stage 1.5, Support Please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Grub Error 17, Stage 1.5, Support Please!

Ive searched all these forums and about 17 other's, & still no luck, This is a very popular question around but i cannot seem to fix it, Could you please tell me how to fix this Error ill give you as much Detail as possible.

I have a Dell Laptop & I turn on my computer the dell logo shows up Saying Press f2 = Bios / F12 = Boot From??

It then says:

Grub Loading Stage1.5

GRUB Loading, please wait...

I then have not got a clue what to do, I only have ubuntu installed & I tryd booting from ubuntu CD by putting in the 8.04 LIVE CD, And tryd booting from it and i get a few error's, If you would like to know the error ill provide them with you as much detail as possible. Something about Block Error's. I saw

I can reformat back to windows, But i have important file's on my ubuntu machine and i need them so i really do need to fix this, Or less there's a possible way to backup my file's and then i could reformat back to ubuntu Which would work. But which ever is easier to do Either fix the error, or backup my file's. I do have the Ubuntu live CD So if that come's in handy i can use this.

But if you could just explain on what to do Since I'm new to this and i have not got a clue on how to fix this error. Please provide me with ubuntu support as much as possible on how to fix this error or how to backup my File's on my dell ubuntu system.

If you need more Detail on my machine to help you I'm happy to provide information to help solve this.

Please Help.

- Regards
    Last edited by DanTheMan01; November 14th, 2008 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Grub Error 17, Stage 1.5, Support Please!

if this is a production machine I think you might be in trouble.

it sounds like you've got a hdd death, or near death.

error 17 usually comes up when you have an old bios that has problems recognizing sized beyond 128 gb.. I've got an old desktop with this problem and has to build a boot partition of 2 gig on a 250 gig drive to make it work.

but it's a pentium III.

your going to need to find a live CD/DVD of some sort, I recommend knoppix myself. and rescue your data then do a drive check to see if you've got real problems with it before reformatting it.
    Asus M70vm-C1 intel 5100 abgn nvidia 9600GS intel 2.53gig centrino2

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Grub Error 17, Stage 1.5, Support Please!

Quote Originally Posted by tvtech View Post
    if this is a production machine I think you might be in trouble.

it sounds like you've got a hdd death, or near death.

error 17 usually comes up when you have an old bios that has problems recognizing sized beyond 128 gb.. I've got an old desktop with this problem and has to build a boot partition of 2 gig on a 250 gig drive to make it work.

but it's a pentium III.

your going to need to find a live CD/DVD of some sort, I recommend knoppix myself. and rescue your data then do a drive check to see if you've got real problems with it before reformatting it.
    Hello, Thank you for your response.

Ohhh NO, & Yes i only have something like an 120 HDD, and 2 GB Ram, I have a few spare Cd's. & a spare 7 GB USB, which is blank, I have a few 700 MB Cd's which are blank also. If you could provide me with the ISO of knoppix, I'll burn it to the CD or USB, could you provide me on what i will need to do to fix this. If you can using knoppix or some other sort of way to fix this.

Thank you
    - Regards

Beans

In order to troubleshoot your problem, you really need to be able to boot some Live CD. You could try downloading maybe an earlier version of Ubuntu (7.10) and see if that works, or maybe try another debian based distro like PCLinuxOS. But the bottom line is you will need to boot some Live CD in order to troubleshoot. You can go to www.distrowatch.com and find links to all the major distributions. Once you have a Live CD that boots OK, let me know and I can help you troubleshoot your Grub problem if you want.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    In order to troubleshoot your problem, you really need to be able to boot some Live CD. You could try downloading maybe an earlier version of Ubuntu (7.10) and see if that works, or maybe try another debian based distro like PCLinuxOS. But the bottom line is you will need to boot some Live CD in order to troubleshoot. You can go to www.distrowatch.com and find links to all the major distributions. Once you have a Live CD that boots OK, let me know and I can help you troubleshoot your Grub problem if you want.
    Thank you for your response.

That would be great I'll find a CD Ubuntu Old CD, And burn it to cd and let you know once it's done.

Thank you for Your support.
    - regards

Beans
    Distro

I installed 7.10, But the Rescue thing isnt there,

what shall i do?,

- regards

Beans

Do you mean you can boot the Ubuntu 7.10 Live CD? If you can, then choose the option "try Ubuntu without changing my computer", and then when you get to the desktop, go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal, and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    And just to clarify, you are getting the Grub error 17 before seeing the Grub menu? When it was working, did you see the Grub menu or did you boot directly into Ubuntu on start up?

Beans
    Distro

there's:

start or install ubuntu
    start ubuntu in safe graphics mode
    install with driver update cd
    oem install (for manufavturer)
    check cd for defects
    memory test
    boot from first hard disk

F1 HELP - F2 LANGUAGE - F3 KEYMAP - F4 VGA - F5 ACCESSIBILITY - F6 OTHER OPTIONS

- regards

Beans

Choose the first option "Start or install Ubuntu", and once you get to the desktop, please post the output of the previous command I gave. And also, please answer, are you getting the Grub error 17 before seeing the Grub menu on start up? When it was working, did you see the Grub menu or did you boot directly into Ubuntu on start up?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Choose the first option "Start or install Ubuntu", and once you get to the desktop, please post the output of the previous command I gave. And also, please answer, are you getting the Grub error 17 before seeing the Grub menu on start up? When it was working, did you see the Grub menu or did you boot directly into Ubuntu on start up?
    no, the logon screen dont load atall I carnt get into the Desktop or anything. It just says error 17 right away, I dont see any Grub menu.

Hey dude, i erm tryd to do what you said, start ubuntu 7.10 The first option when i boot from 7.10 cD and i get this:

Click to View larger:
    Last edited by DanTheMan01; November 14th, 2008 at 02:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast