Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh great and wise forum, I need your opinions/experiences!

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Oh great and wise forum, I need your opinions/experiences!

Hello knowledgeable people! I am in the market for a new mobile phone.

Specifically, I am looking for a camera that's also a phone (rather than a phone that's also a camera - camera first, phone second). I would prefer not to have to carry a camera AND a phone around with me, when I can combine the two really.

I hate samsungs, love nokia's, and are indifferent to the rest. However, it's important that whatever phone I choose be able to replace carrying around a separate camera, so low quality camera's are a definate no no.

Also, I send text messages rather than call mostly, so the phone I choose much be easy to text with, and fully featured in that area too!

I have narrowed it down to the following two, although I might have missed a better phone along the way, so please feel free to suggest other makes and models that you feel will better suit, as long as they're not samsungs

Nokia N96

Tech specs: http://www.nseries.com/nseries/v3/me...n96_en_R1.html

Sony Ericsson C905

More info: http://www.sonyericsson.com/bigpictu...px?cc=gb&lc=en

Tech Specs: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,...9299760,00.htm

I'm really undecided

The Nokia has the menu system I love, a 5MP Tessar Lens to give photo's comparable in quality to the Sony, but it's a full smartphone, with a mountain of features i'll never use, and it's supposed to be a bit laggy with the menu and camera, with pathetic battery life.

The Sony looks more of a camera, but the picture quality isn't rated as highly as the 8.1MP label would suggest, with the background of photo's being somewhat noisy, hence why it's comparable (and some might say worse than) the N96 despite the Sony Ericsson having a 3MP advantage. It also has the sony ericsson menu, which I am unsure of...

Any help will lead me to distribute cookies!
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Oh great and wise forum, I need your opinions/experiences!

This may not be much help but my son recently got the Sony C905. His main reason for choosing it, above others he considered, was the battery life.

He's not complained so far, and he also texts often.

Personally I always go for Nokia. I've not found any other brand as good as far as reception is concerned, and it is a phone after all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that his was a free upgrade from Orange (well free as in new contract) and came with a 2 gb memory card.
    Last edited by fiddledd; November 13th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo 6300 1 GB Dual channel DDR 2 Nvidia 7300 GS
    Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 Intel T5450 Core 2 Duo 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram 160gb HDD (Vista/Linux Mint 5)
    [Missing OMGPP]

Beans

Lol, I thought my 3MP Samsung Flipshot was a decent camera phone. Too bad you're not a fan of Samsung. We always get left behind as far as mobiles phones go here in the states compared to just about everywhere else. =x If i were to choose I would go w/ the Nokia just due to my personal bad luck w/ the durability of Sony Ericsson phones. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. =]

samsung flipshot here:
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

Isn't the N96 Linux based and open source?

Also, what's wrong with Samsung? They typically make the most reliable phones (at least here in the states), and they bought Pentax a little ways back, so their digital cameras are pretty good too.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I personally recommend Nokia N96 because it's also a great smartphone, and the camera is great (other features I think you might know). And Sony Ericsson are good only at camera, IMHO.

It's all about your needs! Have fun with it, no mater what is going to be!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I like my blackberry curve. Has a great camera and a nice keyad I'm writing this mesdage with now. My choice of those two would be the nokia though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nokia all the way. better to excel in features than to lack them
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!

If i'm honest, i'm tending towards the N95. I love Nokia's. The only thing worrying me is the reported lag, as in there is a second or two discrepency between pressing a key, and the action actually happening.

That would be especially awful for taking photo's. "Presses key".....................wait..................*ph oto taken*

Also, the Sony C905 is more designed to be a camera, which is what I want mainly, with a million features to ensure that I get as great and as instant a photo as possible.

So I can go with the N95 and get a menu and phone I love, but a laggy phone with a laggy camera. Or I can go with the C905 and get a camera i'll love, but a menu i'll likely hate, with likely irritation every time I send a text message.

Bummer eh?
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What did you end up getting? I have a c905 and love it love it love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

With Google Android, you can write your own apps and stuff. ( Dev kit has windows, linux, and osx ports )

It also has a really nice camera function, always good quality in my experience.
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast