Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage recommendations? (1TB, network, external)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Storage recommendations? (1TB, network, external)

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what experiences you have had with the different hard disk brands out there.

I am planning to buy a 1TB external hard disk (for storage: ubuntu & mac), preferably with networking capability (i.e plug in to a router).

Any recommendations?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Storage recommendations? (1TB, network, external)

2.5 or 3.5?

I have 2 matrox one touch minis for my personal use at my notebooks and they are perfect at cooling.(2.5) and my partner using this one (pretty cool, network etc) :

http://www.naaptol.com/buy-online/WO..._nas_150d.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm looking for 3.5

Beans

I've used Fantoms and Lacies for my whole life(5 drives) and not had any of them die. I'm currently using 2 1TB ext Lacies for media/data backups. As far as the NAS support, you're on your own, I use mine strictly for backups and have never looked into a NAS setup. Best of luck to you. =]

Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini (500GB/1TB)
    Fantom G-Force MegaDisk NAS (1TB)
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

I would happily recommend Seagate or WD to anyone.

Beans

Look up QNAP.

they have really good NAS storage solutions. thinkng of getting one for myself. Built in ftp server, web server, streaming server to ps3/xbox, and lots of other stuff.... and low power consumtion. means i won't have to leave pc on any more. Also supports RAID if you get two or more bays.

Beans

I've heard that the new Lacie 1tb network drives are very good from a friend of mine (the one with the nice design, at least that's what they claim).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for the recommendations and ideas so far. My budget is around €300, so I hope I will find a balance between quality and funcationality.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you should study the drives and the enclosures separately.

LaCie and similar brands sell their own enclosures with different interfaces such as firewire, USB and Ethernet. They all use drives by the ever same few manufacturers.

The firewire and USB ones are straightforward in their usage. They are, however, not what you are asking in your OP.

Practically all of the network drives come with some variant of Linux and Samba. LaCie apparently carries some models with XP.

I've had no issues whatsoever with a linksys NSLU2 server and two external USB drives except for the fact that the USB drives are 'always on' and hence keep on consuming electrical power. I keep having 'issues' with the synology NAS device such as strange access restrictions and characters supported in file names.

As regards the actual drives used in those devices, they all appear to be of comparable quality. You might want to watch for drives which prefer being run for long times at a stretch vs those which do not mind being powered up and down rather frequently. However, I have not yet seen any statistics on that topic.

Afterthought: The synology also fails at doing daily backups to an USB disk because the disk is in powersaving mode and takes too long to wake up.
    Last edited by pp.; November 14th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by waapwoop1 View Post
    Look up QNAP.

they have really good NAS storage solutions. thinkng of getting one for myself. Built in ftp server, web server, streaming server to ps3/xbox, and lots of other stuff.... and low power consumtion. means i won't have to leave pc on any more. Also supports RAID if you get two or more bays.
    I've got one of their TS-209 NASs, highly recommended.

Linux-based, RAID1 with hot swappable drives, so you can put as much storage as you need or your budget permits. Print server, auto backups, UPnP media server, and a very thorough web interface including SMART for the drives, etc. Plus it'll do a lot more stuff that I don't bother with (IP security cameras, external FTP access, web server)

You can SSH into the box easily too, and i've found QNAP support to be very helpful the one time I needed them. They're also actively developing the platform, there's been several improvements in functionality through firmware updates since i've owned mine.

Sucks about 10-15W, and has active fan monitoring and a sleep mode, so it's quiet and dirt cheap to run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast