Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma iP1900 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Canon Pixma iP1900 series

I have been trying to install my ip1900 on Jaunty for over a week. Tried old archives numerous posting. Googled PPD files and among results was a polish ubuntu forum posting. Used translate and followed one thread

cnifilter-common 3.00-1 and cnijfilter-ip1900 series 3.00-1 i386

worked!!

Beans

Hi, I've succeed installing driver for Canon iP1980, but now I have a problem, my printer cannot print with legal size paper. I mean it can print but if I choose legal as the paper size it print same as when I've print with letter size. I have setting the printer size and the page size of the document with the same legal size, but it doesn't work at all and it always print using letter size.

As a note, the printer does not have a problem if I've set page size and printer size using paper size smaller than legal or F4.

Could anyone help me to solve the problem. Please email me at oskandaria@yahoo.com.

Thanks for your help
    Regards,

OSKANDARIA

Beans

Would just like to say that "how to" worked.

Thank you.

Beans

If anybody get a constant blinking orange light problem, try to hold the button with the orange light for a long time (about 6 seconds), and let it go. If you are lucky, the printer will work immediately.

By the way, anybody knows how to set the resolution other than the default 600dpi?

Beans

To get more option, edit the appropriate file at /etc/cups/ppd

And add or edit the following lines. (They might be already available, but incomplete)

*OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 600
    *Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 1200/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 2400/2400 dpi: "<</HWResolution[2400 2400]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

*OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 5
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
    *CNQuality 5/Economy: "5"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hrimhari View Post
    Hello,

Please update your post if your problem has been solved or even to mention that it works for some people. The information in this reply will probably be useful to other people, so you may like to include it too.

My system is Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy on AMD64 .

I got the debian package from the Canon website: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010647.asp . It gives a TAR ball with 2 deb packages within and incomplete source. Since I'm on AMD64, it didn't want to install right away (it's for i386).

I used dpkg --force-architecture -i <package> on both deb packages, reopened the Printers dialog and modified the printer to use the new driver. It's in the end of the list (iP1900).

Seems to work just fine.

Best regards,
    hri
    Mine is not working, help please..

Beans

Hi...

Thanks...this is very helpful and very easy to understand...

Quote Originally Posted by cancuen View Post
    Hi. I've installed, properly this printer, after a while. I'm a Kubuntu Intrepid User. Greetings from Guatemala.

If you have troubles installing this printer, delete all references/tries/fails/etc related to this printer. Let's do it as we just brought from the store knowing all we need to know.

Turn off the printer (and/or unplug if necesary/wanted).

You have to download the drivers in canon-europe's site. The drivers are at http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010647.asp.
    Find under "Operating System > Linux" and download "Debian Linux Printer Driver (3.0)".
    Download to a folder (it's own folder) anywhere (better desktop). Then, let's go to konsole (or equivalent).

First we must install libcupsys2 with the following order:
    $ sudo apt-get install libcupsys2
    Next go to folder we used to download the driver:
    $ cd /path/to/your/folder
    Next we need to untar the dowloaded file
    $ tar -xf iP1900_debian_printer.tar
    Now we will have 3 files on this folder (+ original tar downloaded file).
    (In my case I've untargz the "tar.gz" file inside, but don't think that this is necessary, how ever if you wanted or need to doit:
    $ tar xvzf cnijfilter-common-3.00-1.tar.gz)
    Then let's install:
    $ sudo dpkg -i *deb
    This will install the two deb packages included in the downloaded tar file that will install the proper drivers in the computer database.

Now that are installed, exit the konsole and then let's go to CUPS web manager in our favorite browser (firefox rocks) to http://127.0.0.1:631

In the page go to Admin and find the button that says "Find new printer" and then follow the assistant.

Hope this helps someone. If you have troubles finding out what to download, this is the file my browser reports as downloaded:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/fil...an_printer.tar

Feed back with comments.

Mario Soto
    mariosoto [at sign here] cancuen [dot here] net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by weaklegs View Post
    Hi...

Thanks...this is very helpful and very easy to understand...
    Result!

Fantastic explanation it works.

Many Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Small problem...
    The console says:

"Note, selecting libcups2 instead of libcupsys2
    libcups2 is already the newest version."

But these cannon ip1900 drivers aren't working with libcups2. The drivers are reported by Ubuntu as "broken packages". Too bad, Karmic is so cool... so sad .

Beans

Though it now appears to be supported by Ubuntu, I originally had trouble finding a workable driver for my Canon i6500. A German company, ZedoNet, makes very good Linux drivers, under the name Turboprint, for almost every imaginable printer, but you have to pay for the Turboprint program. It was about 20 or 30 euro, but I feel I got my money's worth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast