Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Devilspie (version 0.13 and greater) s-expressions examples

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Devilspie (version 0.13 and greater) s-expressions examples

Hi, I want to make Pidgin's Buddy List to hide each time it starts (maybe I got configuration problems, I tried every plugin, whatever) I need a workaround, I tried this code>

( if
    ( and
    ( is ( application_name ) "Pidgin" )
    ( is ( window_name ) "Buddy List" )
    )
    ( begin
    ( close )
    ( skip_tasklist )
    ( println "match" )
    )
    )

it works, but it needs to close the window only on initial start, not always .
    Any solutions ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Devilspie (version 0.13 and greater) s-expressions examples

Quote Originally Posted by DamjanDimitrioski View Post
    Hi, I want to make Pidgin's Buddy List to hide each time it starts (maybe I got configuration problems, I tried every plugin, whatever) I need a workaround, I tried this code>
    [snip]
    it works, but it needs to close the window only on initial start, not always .
    Any solutions ?
    I haven't used devilspie in a while but it sounds like the best thing to do would be if pidgin has an option to do this built-in (don't know) or check out wmctrl.

Beans

I do a lot of work with terminals, often opening many at a time. What I want to do is have them open tiled by default. For example, the first terminal opens in the upper left, the second in the upper right, the third in the lower left and the fourth in the lower right. A fifth window would open in the upper left again, so basically position = window_count % 4.

Currently I do this by having a shell script that opens 4 terminals with different --geometry options, but what I'd prefer is for each window to figure this out on its own as it opens so I if I only need one window I still won't have to move it. Is there a way in devilspie to see how many windows of the same type are open and apply different rules accordingly?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Neeperand View Post
    I do a lot of work with terminals, often opening many at a time. What I want to do is have them open tiled by default. For example, the first terminal opens in the upper left, the second in the upper right, the third in the lower left and the fourth in the lower right. A fifth window would open in the upper left again, so basically position = window_count % 4.

Currently I do this by having a shell script that opens 4 terminals with different --geometry options, but what I'd prefer is for each window to figure this out on its own as it opens so I if I only need one window I still won't have to move it. Is there a way in devilspie to see how many windows of the same type are open and apply different rules accordingly?

Thanks.
    I'd rather use a keybinding for a little script. Something like

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    t=$(pgrep gnome-terminal | wc -l)

case $1 in
        1|5|9) gnome-terminal --geometry etcetc;;
        2|6|10) gnome-terminal etcetc;;
        3|7|11) gnome-terminal etcetc;;
        *) gnome-terminal etcetc;;
    esac
    I haven't tried the above, and it probably can be done in a more clever way, but you'll get the idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I have a little problem: I want Evolution Mail to start up automatically on workspace 2. Step one, obviously, was to put Evolution with the startup programs. Step two was to install devilspie, make a .ds-file and put devilspie with the startup programs. The code I used was:
    Code:
    (if (is (application_name) "evolution") (set_workspace 2))
    The problem is that devilspie gives this error message:
    Code:
    simon@laptop-simon:/$ devilspie

** (devilspie:2168): WARNING **: Workspace number 2 does not exist

(devilspie:2168): Wnck-CRITICAL **: wnck_window_move_to_workspace: assertion `WNCK_IS_WORKSPACE (space)' failed
    WORKSPACE 2 DOES NOT EXIST??? How is that possible?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

--EDIT!: After numerous attemps and getting nowhere, suddenly and completely without meaning to do it, I opened the workspace switcher preferences and there it appeared to me that my workspaces where called "Desk 1, Desk 2, ...". After changing them to mere number everything worked splendidly!
    Last edited by MG2R; November 8th, 2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Problem solved!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456