Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) Install Probs.

Beans

[SOLVED] Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) Install Probs.

All the other game disk i just copied to my HD and ran them with WINE there and it worked fine. Now i Can't Copy the Installer.exe which happens to be the only file (1.3GB) anywhere. Right Clicking and Opening with "Wine Windows Program Loader" does nothing at all (which i thought really unusual). The CD Icon to the left has a lock on it (same as the file system), which when i check permissions it says "I am not the owner, so i can't change these permissions".

I'm running Wine 1.1.8

In Terminal it says this:

desktop:/media/cdrom0$ dir
    DirectX Installer.exe
    Blah@Blah -desktop:/media/cdrom0$ wine Installer.exe
    wine: could not load L"D:\\Installer.exe": Module not found
    Last edited by Kenza; November 13th, 2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Updated Info (Terminal)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) Install Probs.

same problem for me
    Believe It!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Intel Pentium D 2.66GHz 2.68GHz - Gigabyte Mobo - 2 GB RAM - NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300 GT - Realtec '97 onboard audio - Dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Tyvm =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) Install Probs.

Ok I am still having a bit of trouble. not sure how that link solved the problem, i got this from reading it.

To successfully install you may do the following:
    (substitute username with your username)

sudo -i # Login as root, afaik this doesn't work with sudo.
    chown -R root /home/username/.wine # Change ownership of .wine folder to root
    WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine /media/cdrom/Installer.exe # Install WotLK
    chown -R username /home/username/.wine # Change ownership back
    logout # logout as root

Normally i hate logging in as root, but so far it's the only thing I've been able to get working.

I think that what I have to do in order to get the game to install.
    But I'm not sure that i understand how to use those instructions.
    Believe It!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I ran into this issue on my flatmate's dualboot system today.

Simplest solution we came up with was to just reboot and copy the dvd to his hd in ***dows then install it in linux.
    I couldn't be bothered to figure out why the hell half of the DVD wasn't readable from nautilus.

Beans

I was just going to do the same thing, install windows on other HD again and just copy it over, but now i'm having problems with getting MS to even install on it, go figure. GL guys, might make another post since i had already checked as "solved", but yet, having the same problem here! i couldn't and wouldn't wanna' mess with Wine settings to get this installed, shouldn't have to

I WOULDN't DO THIS:
    sudo -i # Login as root, afaik this doesn't work with sudo.
    chown -R root /home/username/.wine # Change ownership of .wine folder to root
    WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine /media/cdrom/Installer.exe # Install WotLK
    chown -R username /home/username/.wine # Change ownership back
    logout # logout as root

Normally i hate logging in as root, but so far it's the only thing I've been able to get working.

THERE HAS'D TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

worldofwarcraft.com/lichking/download

I upgraded my acount on the website and am currently using the blizzard downloader to install the game.

I'll post back if it all works
    Believe It!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can confirm this worked for me:

As root (sudo didn't seem to work for me, but by all means try it because I can't think of a good reason why it didn't except I'm just sleepy...) mount the DVD to a directory with the following parameters: (to get a root prompt type: sudo su -) sudo mount -t udf -o ro,unhide,uid=1000 /dev/<your_device> /your/directory

Now, simply : wine ./Installer.exe as your user account from the DVD... nothing special there...

If you have your game installed into another location other than the default, then go into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files and then type: ln -s /path/to/your/wow/directory

this will create a link so things like expansions can find the default path, but you can still keep your game wherever you want it.

EDIT: BTW, this is not a wine issue, moreso a DVD design issue which requires special mount options...
    Last edited by toupeiro; November 13th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

Sooooo, would somebody please help me by translating the former message into something with more detail for somebody who has extremely little experience using a terminal and realizes that he should likely not be logging on as a superuser but can't help himself because he really wants to log onto wow?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast