Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS : Boot Vista in four seconds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS : Boot Vista in four seconds

This Slashdot article has an interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS.

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BucIjXZVxXo

But what I found more interesting was this comment on Slashdot by 'swillden':

It seems like it'd be really easy to do this with an open source OS. I think I may have just found a nifty little project for this weekend. All it should take is:

* Add an inittab runlevel (7?) for "shutdown to instant boot".
    * Add an /etc/rc7.d with a script that writes a file that records the fact that we're in "shutdown to instant boot" state, then switches to runlevel 6.
    * Add an init script in late in the normal startup sequence that checks for "shutdown to instant boot" state. If it finds that state, it removes the file and then initiates suspend or hibernate, depending on a configuration option.

At that point "sudo init 7" should cause your machine to shut down to "instant boot" state. Hitting the power button will then "instant boot" it.

"sudo init 0" or "sudo init 6" will do a normal shutdown or a normal reboot.

The final step would be to modify the "shutdown" command to go to runlevel 7 when given some new option, and then to modify the GUI-based shutdown tools to provide the instant-boot option as well, and maybe make it the default. Oh, and maybe modify the ACPI script that's executed when the power button is hit so that the power button does a "shutdown to instant boot" by default.
    hobbyist | enthusiast
    Windows 7 | Linux Mint 11 | Registered Ubuntu User #30240

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS : Boot Vista in four seconds

that would be really cool, can i help somehow?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS : Boot Vista in four seconds

Why isnt anyone else interested?!

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS : Boot Vista in four seconds

kevin11951

Thanks for the reply and yes, I'm wondering myself that why there arn't many replies...

Now I'm a Linux newbie and doesn't know how to write a script or something, as described by 'swillden'.

I was anticipating that some Ubuntu/Linux pros would be interested in booting Ubuntu in 4 seconds but I guess "Boot Vista in four seconds" part in the title keeping geniuses away from the thread...
    hobbyist | enthusiast

Beans

This is awesome.

Beans

Give it some time, you must remember the forum user population's time zones.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Interesting take on instant boot from ASRock / ASUS : Boot Vista in four seconds

Eisenwinter, handy

guys thanks for your replies... I've wrote to 'swillden' requesting if he would elaborate further about the script he has described at Slashdot on this thread.
    hobbyist | enthusiast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Awesome! I need my laptop and desktop to boot up in 4 seconds.
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans

If I understand this correctly, what its basically saying is that it would create a new folder called /etc/rc7.d and put a lot of really light startup software in it along with a minimal amount of processes, then starts it with those.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro

Excerpts from the Slashdot comments:

Tacvek:
    "they just shift the boot time to be part of the shutdown time, so when you arrive at your computer again, and turn it on, you are just unsuspending it, or are loading an unusually clean hibernation file. This is a very interesting idea, but it is one that doe not need motherboard support. This can be done by the OS alone"

crt:
    "They never show the shutdown process - my guess is that when you shutdown, it actually reboots, then right after Windows boots it puts it to sleep or hibernate (S3/S4). When you turn it back on, it wakes it and looks like you "just" booted up. [ ACPI system states ]

Not really a bad idea I suppose - moves the boot time from boot to shutdown, when you are less likely to care.

Of course you can get the same effect yourself by rebooting then just putting your machine to sleep when you want to shutdown. Someone could probably even write a simple software solution for this rather than requiring a whole new motherboard."

Egotistical Rant:
    "This is EXACTLY what it does. The "more images for this article" section at the given link has a flowchart of the process...it's just a reboot and suspend."
    hobbyist | enthusiast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast