Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Ubuntu Theme

Beans

Next Ubuntu Theme

Personaly, i love linux, i love the idea of someone sticking it to microsoft and linux has come a bloody far way.

although, every time i use linux im stuck on the theme... sure you can change the theme but theres a limit to what you can change (pretty much mainly pictures and not functionality so much) and also to the ubuntu noob going through and changing the theme is not all that easy, in ubuntu i think the best big next step is to simply make it look nicer by default (and have a more home user friendly log on screen)

here are some mock up pics of what i think the next ubuntu should look like:

logon screen:

Window Switching:

Edit:/

Also i think ubuntu should come prepackaged with mp3 decoders and wine and a SIMPLE QUICK TO START paint program (like kpaint) and a whole bunch of software like that so that every time you install it you dont have to INSTALL IT
    Last edited by re_animate; November 13th, 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Beans

Re: Next Ubuntu Theme

Theres already a thread on that theme, and personally I don't like the "sticky note" look it has. Also, it isn't possible to create that yet, as you can't have rounded menus, nor is Ubuntu going with a dock since Apple patented it.

EDIT ABOUT YOUR EDIT:
    Ubuntu can't come with mp3 codecs, as its patented in some countries and thus would be illegal. Ubuntu encourages the use of native programs and not wine so it won't come with that. There is currently no paint software which matches kolourpaint which is written in GTK, so if you want it create it. Lastly, Ubuntu won't come with a whole bunch of programs because it tries to keep on one CD. To come with a whole bunch of software, as you say it should, would mean that it would have to be DVD sized (and not everyone everywhere in the world can download DVDs very quickly nor has a DVD drive to burn it).
    Last edited by smartboyathome; November 13th, 2008 at 03:54 AM.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by re_animate View Post

Edit:/

Also i think ubuntu should come prepackaged with mp3 decoders and wine and a SIMPLE QUICK TO START paint program (like kpaint) and a whole bunch of software like that so that every time you install it you dont have to INSTALL IT
    The problem with having WINE in the default ubuntu install is that people would whinge about their favorite windows app not working on ubuntu .. for something to be included in the default ubuntu install it needs to be 99% working. Also there are legal issues that have to be sorted out before mp3 playback is included in the default ubuntu install .. but its dead easy to install the restricted pack anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like that theme, but as previously mentioned it's not currently possible. as far as mp3 playback OOTB goes, I'd rather stick with ogg or flac.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i need more theme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yep overall good. But Sticky note bright yellow needs to be taken care of in application area and menus.

Also, including AWN in default - I am 100% for it. But I wonder how many will be against that? Especially given the fact it requires compositing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I saw that gdm theme at gnome-look and i am using it : ) It is awesome.

I hate brown, i prefer black like dust theme.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    There is currently no paint software which matches kolourpaint which is written in GTK, so if you want it create it.
    There is gpaint, but it leaves a little to be desired.

I don't particularly like your theme, but I agree that the default theme is extremely ugly. Maybe Gnome should include more themes as default. Currently it only comes with some very basic ones that look mostly similar. Maybe Gnome could incorporate a few of the more popular themes from gnome-look.org.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Its the ETERNAL problem - the same I face in web design. Programming geeks are usually quite week in design. They end up making things quite raw, though functional. The understanding that GUI design actually drives the process is only now starting to come in the producers minds. Not so long ago textbooks said let GUI not drive, leave until the end. But Now everybody understands more and more how it's user experience that makes a product successful.

Beans

woow, your theme is wonderful. however, i am sure that after 3 weeks i will have enough of it, like the other themes i've installed on my ubuntu. anyway, good job.

btw, where can i get this theme?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast