Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Set the inode size?

Beans

Set the inode size?

Hello,

I was following this guide which is on how to create an effective dual-boot setup with XP and Ubuntu. One of the steps requires that I install a program in Windows that will allow me to read/write ext2/ext3 file systems. However, the ext3 partition could not be accessed. After some research I found out that the software only supports ext2/ext3 file systems that have an inode value of 128. My fresh install of 8.10 had an inode value of 256.

Now, my question is how do I change the inode size. I've read that I can't just 'change' it, I have to reformat the partition. Since it's a new install, that's not a problem. But during the installation I don't recall any options where I could change the inode value. So how do I re-format my ext3 partitions to have an inode value of 128? Do I use the live CD or some other method?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Set the inode size?

Have a look at this:

Code:
    man mke2fs
    or use a different program to acces youext3 partition from Windows

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

http://www.fs-driver.org/

http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

are some other prgrams that are available.

I think you are a bit confused, Linux by default formats with a default block size of 1024, which means no matter how small the file is it takes up 1k of hard drive space. All three of the programs work with the default block size. I've tried all three programs and they work.

Jim
    Last edited by cariboo; November 12th, 2008 at 09:13 AM.

Beans

I was using the program from fs-driver.org. I installed it and set the ext3 partitions as D: and E:. However, I could not accesss them. Windows says the disk is not formatted. The troubleshooting page says that the drive was not mounted and to run a diagnostic utility. The utility gave me this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Diagnostic Utility
    C:\mountdiag D:
    The volume has an Ext2/Ext3 file system, but the Ext2 IFS 1.11 software did not mount it because the file system has an inode size unequal to 128 bytes (inode size: 256 bytes). The only way to solve it is to back up the volume's files and format the file system: give the mkfs.ext3 utility the -I 128 switch. Finally, restore all backed-up files. After that, the Ext2 IFS software should be able to access the volume.
    After re-reading the error, I may have misunderstood what it says. Anyways, I just want to be able to have full access to my ext3 partitions from Windows, just like any other ntfs partition. Does the command above still apply to me?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I love errors that are useful. The one that you posted is clear as a bell. If you want use that program to access your linux partition it's going to need formated with an inode size of 128k --

cariboo907 -- I think you misread his post, he not talking about block size.

Yes, the the error is valid for you.

use:
    sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda2 | grep Inode

to see your inode size. Its seems to me that having to reformat is bit
    drastic, you should another program to access your linux partition that is not so picky.
    Last edited by iponeverything; November 12th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Since Intrepid the default inode size for ext3 partitions formatted with the Intrepid installer is 256, all previous versions set it at 128. This has caused a few issues, especially with windows based cloning software such as Acronois True Image. If you upgraded an existing installation the inode size will still be 128, but I don't think you can convert from 256 to 128. One option would be the use somethimg like a live gparted or Ubuntu Hardy cd and create and format the partitions with that. Then install Intrepid but ask it not to format the partition.

Beans

For the sake of completeness, I'd rather follow the guide exactly before I consider alternative methods. I want to have everything working as intended before I start changing things.

Right now, I'm going to try to use a live Gparted CD and reformat the ext3 partitions. I assume using the default settings in Gparted will give me an inode value of 128. We'll see.

Thanks for all the (really fast) replies!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1961
    One option would be the use somethimg like a live gparted or Ubuntu Hardy cd and create and format the partitions with that. Then install Intrepid but ask it not to format the partition.
    Ok, I tried that and it worked. I can now access the ext3 partitions in Windows.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by angelkiller View Post
    Ok, I tried that and it worked. I can now access the ext3 partitions in Windows.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Glad it worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I also have the same problem, but I would rather not have to re-install Ubuntu if I can help it.

When I installed Ubuntu I created a root partition, a boot partition and a home partition. I only want to access my home partition from Windows, so I was hoping it would be possible to copy the data on this partition to a removable drive, use the liveCD to reformat the partition, and then copy the data back onto the partition. Can anyone confirm whether this is likely to work, or if there is something I have missed?

Beans

I can't say for sure, but the error message I got in my second post seems to imply that you can move the data, format and put the data back. I would think it would work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast