Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is ubuntu.com rife with bad grammar?

Beans

Re: Why is ubuntu.com rife with bad grammar?

it is not an English test
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    it is not an English test
    Yes, but the website is directly representative of the operating system that shares its name, and little things like grammatical errors could turn someone off giving it a try. If you were a prospective employer, you'd have second thoughts about hiring someone who had such mistakes on their resume/CV, would you not?

As ridiculous as that might sound, there's greater harm than most people realise in perpetuating the myth that "because anything Linux is free, it mustn't be of a professional standard".

Try to tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't have simply skipped over my post if I wUz TyPInG LyK disZ~~!!

First impressions last.

Besides, it wouldn't take that much work to correct such things, so I'm all for a crack team of logophiles perusing the website and weeding out any imperfections.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poebae View Post
    Yes, but the website is directly representative of the operating system that shares its name, and little things like grammatical errors could turn someone off giving it a try. If you were a prospective employer, you'd have second thoughts about hiring someone who had such mistakes on their resume/CV, would you not?

As ridiculous as that might sound, there's greater harm than most people realise in perpetuating the myth that "because anything Linux is free, it mustn't be of a professional standard".

Try to tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't have simply skipped over my post if I wUz TyPInG LyK disZ~~!!

First impressions last.

Besides, it wouldn't take that much work to correct such things, so I'm all for a crack team of logophiles perusing the website and weeding out any imperfections.
    Not everyone that uses Ubuntu and linux in general come from English speaking backgrounds, quite a few of people that use Ubuntu come from Germany, Brazil, India, some Asian countries.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Any examples?.
    wot r u sayink???

wees dont nows what wees typung or sumfink???

sum tymes me fungirs push da rong buttons ya now

and me spellink checka is bruk to ya now

gees gives me a brek huh??
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ratmandall View Post
    Not everyone that uses Ubuntu and linux in general come from English speaking backgrounds, quite a few of people that use Ubuntu come from Germany, Brazil, India, some Asian countries.
    That's not a valid reason not to have good grammar on the website.

The last time I checked, the potential Ubuntu userbase for English-speaking users was in the billions and growing, which isn't something you can discount by saying "The whole world doesn't speak English, you know".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30au View Post
    wot r u sayink???

wees dont nows what wees typung or sumfink???

sum tymes me fungirs push da rong buttons ya now

and me spellink checka is bruk to ya now

gees gives me a brek huh??
    no disrespect intended to my fellow countrymen who have contributed to this thread, but please excuse me while I go and play with my pet sheep.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's not a valid reason not to have good grammar on the website.

The last time I checked, the potential Ubuntu userbase for English-speaking users was in the billions and growing, which isn't something you can discount by saying "The whole world doesn't speak English, you know".
    I agree. That's why we should try and report this stuff to the webmaster. I'm sure they can find a way to fix this. If they are too busy to do so then they can just ask the community to help with pointing out the errors and how to fix it. I'll try doing it in my spare time this week. Anyone who's got free time in their hands, I ask you to do the same.
    Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

None of the examples in post 9 in any way detract from the meaning which the writer intended to convey, or in any way introduce anything which could be construed as an error likely to cause confusion or misunderstanding on the part of anyone who happened to browse to the ubuntu.com website in the hope of finding some useful information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zmjjmz View Post
    It should be "None of these problems are huge"
    Yeah, some of that looks a bit like really minor stuff you would see if a writer was tired or something. Not really major.
    lol

The pot blaming the kettle.

Beans

If somebody loses interest in trying a new operating system over grammatical errors on the web site, I'd say they are looking for faults in the wrong place.

I hope the OP has notified whoever is in charge.
    My blog about random things I do in Linux.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast