Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current quality of ATI Linux drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!

Current quality of ATI Linux drivers?

I'm thinking of upgrading my video card soon. Up to this point I've stuck with NVidia cards since their Linux drivers, while closed-source, are fairly high quality and allow the card to work just as well in Linux as it does in Windows. I know that for a long time ATI's Linux drivers were pretty awful and only gave a fraction of their Windows performance, but I've heard that they've recently been open-sourced. Has this led to any improvements in the driver's quality yet or should I stick with NVidia?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Current quality of ATI Linux drivers?

My ATI drives are really good. I have good performance on it too. They have become better that what they once were. Then again I really have never had a problem with them

Beans
    Hidden!

The current ATI drivers on Linux are still absolute junk, full of crash bugs, display bugs, and all kinds of nasty problems. You would not buy an ATI card intending to put it in a Linux box and use FGLRX. You would have to be ignorant or stupid or masochistic to do that.

FGLRX is more of a proof of concept that an ATI card can work on Linux under certain limited conditions. It's really not something you would choose for Linux; it's something you're stuck with and you might want to try to get it working. For example, you want to plug two monitors in? LOL, forget about it. You want to play back video smoothly? LOL, forget about it.

I've wasted enough time trying to support ATI's useless !@#$%&* garbage driver at work that we've decided to stop buying ATI. The Linux boxes here only account for about 2% of the total desktops, but because Nvidia's stuff is supportable both on Windows and Linux, and we like to keep everything the same so they're interchangeable, ATI just lost tens of thousands of dollars in card sales for Windows boxes because of the junk quality of their Linux driver.

I really would like to see ATI make FGLRX something that I can install and configure in under four hours, every time, without repeatedly apologizing to the user who's going to suffer it. But ATI just don't seem to be capable of shipping a Linux driver that's not a worthless piece of utter ****.

Beans

Yeah same here; It was 2 distro updates before ATI FINALLY had support for my Radeon Xpress 200M on my Gateway laptop with 3-D support, etc. Works great now but for now Nvidia is MUCH more supported and stable then ATI cards, even more so with fglrx update that dumped support for a ton of cards that pissed alot of users off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Go with nvidia. ATI is trying, but on the whole ATI users seem to run into more problems on ubuntu *at the moment*.

Still trying to fix a flashing black box issue on my ati.

Beans

Your only choice is open source drivers. ATI will no longer write new drivers for legacy cards. That's about the best that can be done to support ATI graphics in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Reverting to 8.10 was my only option to support ATI but as a consequence my wireless card has issues. If I had educated myself a little more in purchasing hardware I would've avoided ATI.

Currently I am looking into the Coreboot Project and a ASUS M2V-MX SE. This should provide the compatability to a wide range of OS choices.

I like Nvidia as well and I can relate to the frustration of ATI configuration as opposed to the simplicity of an Nvidia one.

The lesson learned is to understand the hardware you intend to use and how it will interact with the OS. I seen so many people grab just any hardware and expect it to work. In the Windows world that might be valid but you have to give some thought to LInux to see the best results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hey all~
    i agree w/most of the people posting in this thread. while the new ATI driver has made forward progress, it's performance is still lacking in many areas (my worse is trying a video heavy app like say Google Earth while using the ATI graphic driver....it's all choppy till i drop down to the none proprietary [generic] driver then it works smooth.)

as much as i love amd (who own's ATI) i'd say stick w/nVidia if possible (sadly for me, my laptop has an ati radeon hd card....but everything else runs schweet in the best os available )
    ~j
    ~ live life less seriously ~
    ~j~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

As for the ATI chipsets, they don't seem as affected but the graphics ones seem the most severely affected. That's is an oddity especially if you have integrated graphics. Logically you would figure it would effect everything across the board.

I am at loss to explain how a severe glitch would escape the eye of the testers or why it was released under these conditions? Certainly a bug of this magnitude could have delayed the release until at least a work around or warning issued.

I have learned my lesson, I am going to stick to the more stable LTS until the next one comes around.

Beans

Hi,
    Are you guys talking about the 23-7-09 released 9.7 catalyst driver?
    Does that one suck too? I downloaded it, haven't tried it yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast