Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating Transitioning Wallpaper Program.. anyone want to help out?

Beans

Lightbulb Creating Transitioning Wallpaper Program.. anyone want to help out?

Hello,

So currently there's no good wallpaper transitioning program out there for Ubuntu. For some time apple has been able to do this, but Linux hasn't. There are plenty of wallpaper changers, but none of them can make a smooth transition. So I thought to myself, why don't I make one. Right now I have a lot of experience in Java and a fair amount in C. If someone could point me in the direction of some good references to read up on for Images and GUI for Linux that would be nice.

Also I'm looking for people who are also interested in doing this as well. The more people that can join in, the better. Feel free to join in. I'll probably have the least experience in the group, so feel free to lead once we can get a group started on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Creating Transitioning Wallpaper Program.. anyone want to help out?

Any simple python work that you need I could do. But when i say simple i mean simple, lol, i dont have much knowledge nor experience but I can always research things i dont know.
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

The major problem you'll find when trying to do desktop wallpaper transitions is that Gnome doesn't support anything other than static background. It also creates a flicker when switching static files, so simply quickly switching between pre-rendered images for a transition is out.

Your best bet to implementing this is to use xwinwrap and then create a simple opengl program that fades between to static images.

Unfortunately xwinwrap isn't in the repos so you're first step will be getting this into the repositories, developing a opengl program to do the transitions will be simple in comparisons.

Oh and using xwinwrap obviously requires hardware rendering so it will be compiz only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

just a thought, can the compiz wallpapa plugin not do this? and if i remember correctly xwinrap takes desktop control away form nautilus so you say goodbye to your desktop icons
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

Well using compiz doesn't sound bad. Just wondering can compiz effect the wallpaper without effecting everything else on the desktop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You mean like what this guy did?http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784881

Beans

there is this xml-wall script? someone suggested this in the forum, where it offers smooth transition. i wish you guys could do the same but with a fancy gui and iff possible have the option to load the wallpaper in memory to lessen disk i/o.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by MR.UNOWEN View Post
    So currently there's no good wallpaper transitioning program out there for Ubuntu. For some time apple has been able to do this, but Linux hasn't. There are plenty of wallpaper changers, but none of them can make a smooth transition. So I thought to myself, why don't I make one. Right now I have a lot of experience in Java and a fair amount in C. If someone could point me in the direction of some good references to read up on for Images and GUI for Linux that would be nice.
    Gnome implemented this one or two versions ago. Fedora introduced it with Fedora 8.

You're late for the party.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Perhaps a script for compiz?
    Keyboard not found!

Press any key to continue...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    Gnome implemented this one or two versions ago. Fedora introduced it with Fedora 8.

You're late for the party.
    If it's the script based one... then no, it's still buggy. The frame rate is too choppy from image to image and still eats up a good amount of the CPU. I'm running 2 x 3.0GH, so it should be running smooth, but it's not.

If its not, let me know which one you're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast