Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs. Windows Game Performance [Development Perspective]

Beans

Ubuntu vs. Windows Game Performance [Development Perspective]

Hi. I use Code::Blocks IDE and OpenGL with SDL on both Ubuntu 8.10 and WindowsXP latest updates. I have my laptop setup for dual boot. I built my game in both Ubuntu and WindowsXP using the same header and cpp files.

As far as I know, all other things are equal. Here is the result: the WindowsXP system runs the game better performance wise. I tried to adjust the settings for things like graphics card and compiler options, etc., to be the same from Ubuntu to WindowsXP; I tried to make everything as similar as possible in order to achieve similar performance results.

Why does the Windows version outperform the Ubuntu version? Any ideas? Thanks for any replies.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu vs. Windows Game Performance [Development Perspective]

Quote Originally Posted by signal_ View Post
    Why does the Windows version outperform the Ubuntu version? Any ideas? Thanks for any replies.
    Possibly hardware related. Just because a driver exists, even official, doesn't mean it is the same quality.

For a truer test, try Windows XP fresh install, nothing installed after, and a default Ubuntu.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, LaRoza.

Possibly hardware related. Just because a driver exists, even official, doesn't mean it is the same quality.
    I am definitely not using an official driver. I am using an ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver in order to have 3D-acceleration enabled.

I think, however, it may be an issue with cpu usage. For my game, I have an entity system for the entities or game objects in the game. As the number of objects increase the cpu is taxed on both Ubuntu and WindowsXP, but the Ubuntu system forces the game to run more choppily. This choppiness could also be described as stuutter.

For example, under Ubuntu with 1000 entities it will still run at ~60fps; however, periodically the fps will drop to ~50-something fps temporarily, thus forcing the user to experience a "stutter" or "glitch". Under WindowsXP there is no glitching only smooth scrolling and constant frame rate.

For a truer test, try Windows XP fresh install, nothing installed after, and a default Ubuntu.
    Yes, I could do this. However, I am not really interested in a true test. I am mostly interested in squeezing out the best performance for my game since I need that performance for testing, etc. With that in mind I am searching for a way to run my game with a performance quality similar to that of the quality which WindowsXP provides.

I have yet to test it under Wine, but that is not exactly the desired solution since I am using cross-platform tools.

I still have some other strategies to try, but I fear my strategy may quickly degrade into a trial-and-error type of thing.

Again, thanks for the reply. Best wishes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by signal_ View Post
    T
    I think, however, it may be an issue with cpu usage. For my game, I have an entity system for the entities or game objects in the game. As the number of objects increase the cpu is taxed on both Ubuntu and WindowsXP, but the Ubuntu system forces the game to run more choppily. This choppiness could also be described as stuutter.

For example, under Ubuntu with 1000 entities it will still run at ~60fps; however, periodically the fps will drop to ~50-something fps temporarily, thus forcing the user to experience a "stutter" or "glitch". Under WindowsXP there is no glitching only smooth scrolling and constant frame rate.
    Also, keep in mind Windows XP is seven years old. It is hard to compare to modern distros. I'd bet, that on the same hardware you have, Vista would have issues (unless you have abnormal hardware for typical XP setups)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

any chance you have compiz running whiling testing on Ubuntu?
    Linux.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Ubuntu vs. Windows Game Performance [Development Perspective]

any chance you have compiz running whiling testing on Ubuntu?
    I am not running compiz. I just verified this. When I had this enabled, it made performance much worse.

Also, keep in mind Windows XP is seven years old. It is hard to compare to modern distros. I'd bet, that on the same hardware you have, Vista would have issues (unless you have abnormal hardware for typical XP setups)
    I see. That is a good point. My brother just got a new Vista box. He is planning to put ubuntu on it so I can perform another test on that.

It is just distressing because although I am a new Ubuntu user I enjoy coding under Ubuntu since things like virus scanners and other windows annoyances are absent.

Thanks for the help, guys. Best wishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i was going to say that compiz could have been the culprit, guess not
    Linux.

Beans

ATI's Linux drivers suck, that's all.

Depending on what card you have you might want to see whether DRI does any better.

How come you don't tell us what hardware you have exactly when asking a performance question?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Have you tried them in different screen modes? The colour depth might be different on your Ubuntu desktop than it is in XP, for example. These differences could be noticeable in a CPU/GPU intensive program.

Beans

Cracauer:

Depending on what card you have you might want to see whether DRI does any better.
    I don't know what DRI is so I will have to get back to you on that. I will google it though.

How come you don't tell us what hardware you have exactly when asking a performance question?
    I probably should have, but I thought it was not as important since I was running same hardware/software just under different OS's and getting differing results in performance.

I am using an old Dell Inspiron 9300 with 1.66 GHz cpu, 2 gig ram, and ATI mobility radeon x300 (64Mb). I am planning to upgrade my comp soon though and I will research on what to buy so that both windows and ubuntu run as efficiently as possible.

Desty:

Have you tried them in different screen modes? The colour depth might be different on your Ubuntu desktop than it is in XP, for example. These differences could be noticeable in a CPU/GPU intensive program.
    No, I haven't tried that. I will look into that as well.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast