Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW -- mythchanger firewire channel changer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow NEW -- mythchanger firewire channel changer

there have been a lot of issues with firewire channel changing with mythtv... mostly due to
    too many different and cobbled-up versions of channel changers. there have also been a lot
    of issues with channel changers failing after STB firmware updates- mostly with Scientific
    Atlanta STBs.

instead of trying to keep on top of all of the changes with the various changers, i have put
    all of the different methods into one changer. most of the source comes from both mythprime
    and scanfw, with a bit of new code added at the request of a tester (thank you, kevin conover).

the only argument required is the channel number- everything else *should* be automatic for
    most users... however:

for scientific atlanta owners- if your STB is detected incorrectly or fails the channel change,
    try forcing another SA changer with the -f option. the changer required depends on the
    firmware version of your STB and the firmware does not always match the STB model. try each
    SA changer one at a time until you find the one that works for you.

also, for users recording from more than one STB, a new option (-g) has been added which
    will allow you to tune the STB by supplying the GUID of the target. otherwise, mythchanger
    will change the channel on the first STB found on the firewire bus.

power-on and bus reset options are also included for the sake of completeness... you may
    or may not find them handy.

source code can be downloaded from here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot

a makefile is included for easy compile and installation. see the included README for
    complete details.

ENJOY!
    Last edited by majoridiot; December 7th, 2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: updated link

Beans

Re: NEW -- mythchanger firewire channel changer

Thank you! I must say I have been trying to get the channel changer working for my DCH-3200 via command line for quite a while, and this worked right out of the gate. I would also like to use this opportunity to thank you for all of your other invaluable postings on this forum, I have used them countless times, though never replied.

I did have to use the -f 6 flag to manage this, but here are the vendor and model ID of my STB (DCH-3200)
    Code:
    node 1: vendor_id = 0x00001106 model_id = 0x00000000
    Thanks again!

Beans

I'm a bit of a newbie to mythbuntu, but what exactly is this? I only ask because I'm using the firewire ports on my SA STB for recording. I have no problem changing channels though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by patrick0605 View Post
    I'm a bit of a newbie to mythbuntu, but what exactly is this? I only ask because I'm using the firewire ports on my SA STB for recording. I have no problem changing channels though.
    mythchanger is only needed if:

mythtv fails to change the channel on your stb; or

you need an external channel changer for recording with a capture card

it is a consolidation of the various channel changers from mythtv contrib and elsewhere.
    sounds to me like you are fine the way you are...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JBaugh View Post
    Thank you! I must say I have been trying to get the channel changer working for my DCH-3200 via command line for quite a while, and this worked right out of the gate. I would also like to use this opportunity to thank you for all of your other invaluable postings on this forum, I have used them countless times, though never replied.

I did have to use the -f 6 flag to manage this, but here are the vendor and model ID of my STB (DCH-3200)
    Code:
    node 1: vendor_id = 0x00001106 model_id = 0x00000000
    Thanks again!
    glad it solved some problems for you. external changers have been frustrating for some people.

a new version has been posted that should alleviate the need for forcing a changer. you can download
    it from the link above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

First off, thank you for your work. As a Windows Media Center convertee, I was thrilled and amazed how easy setting up firewire capture.

I have everything for my DCH-6416 working well capturing and changing channels. I have firewire capture set up as well as s-video to a tuner for the encrypted channels, which scanfw helped weed out perfectly. My only issue is if I record a show on the channel the stb is already tuned to. (For example, if I record a show on ch 144 and then later a show on ch 144 without changing the channel to another one.) What happens is everything changes and records right, but the stb displays a guide looking screen. It times out after a certain amount of time, but it makes it look less cool. I can repeat this every time if I use the command via terminal. If I press "exit" on the stb remote, it goes away instantly.

My question is, is there any way around this? I don't know if there is a command to send the "exit" command? That would make the mini guide disappear on channel changes too, which isn't that big of a deal because it only lasts 3 seconds. If there isn't a way to send the "exit" command is there a workaround? I was thinking maybe try to tell it to change to a channel before sending the final channel change, but I don't really know how, and it isn't very elegant.

Again, thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crez79 View Post
    First off, thank you for your work. As a Windows Media Center convertee, I was thrilled and amazed how easy setting up firewire capture.

I have everything for my DCH-6416 working well capturing and changing channels. I have firewire capture set up as well as s-video to a tuner for the encrypted channels, which scanfw helped weed out perfectly. My only issue is if I record a show on the channel the stb is already tuned to. (For example, if I record a show on ch 144 and then later a show on ch 144 without changing the channel to another one.) What happens is everything changes and records right, but the stb displays a guide looking screen. It times out after a certain amount of time, but it makes it look less cool. I can repeat this every time if I use the command via terminal. If I press "exit" on the stb remote, it goes away instantly.

My question is, is there any way around this? I don't know if there is a command to send the "exit" command? That would make the mini guide disappear on channel changes too, which isn't that big of a deal because it only lasts 3 seconds. If there isn't a way to send the "exit" command is there a workaround? I was thinking maybe try to tell it to change to a channel before sending the final channel change, but I don't really know how, and it isn't very elegant.

Again, thank you.
    funny you should post this, as i discovered a similar thing last night while testing with scanfw on
    my DCT-6212. the firmware on my stb was updated yesterday, so i was not sure if the timing was
    coincidental or not.

however, both mythchanger and scanfw share common code, so i am not too surprised to see this issue
    pop up here...

i only had a few minutes to poke around last night, so i am not sure if this is a bug or what. i will
    look into this sometime in the next couple of days. in the meantime, sorry for the inconvenience
    and sit tight for new source...

Beans
    Distro

Wow. 30 minutes. I've waited on hold longer. Thanks for looking into it. Great job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok... i have spent quite a bit of time today trying to track down the breakage here. by every appearance,
    this is due to updates to at least some motorola STB firmware. the code worked flawlessly on my
    STB until it was updated a couple of days ago (to fix interference from my cell phone on HD channels!).

the changer works fine with 2 digit numbers but causes weirdness if you re-tune a 3 digit channel that
    is currently tuned. i have been through the latest firewire AVC panel specification that i have and the
    packet sent to the STB is constructed correctly per that spec... so obviously someone at motorola
    dropped the ball on this one... or someone needs to send me a spec more recent than the 2002
    copy i have.

i hacked around with trial-and-error but could not come up with a fix... possibly because there is not
    one so long as the firmware is broken. an additional "select-key" workaround is kinda sloppy, so i
    am skipping that for now.

on the plus side, forcing the single-channel method (-f 7) works fine... at least for me.

since i have no clue as to the status of various firmwares across cable providers, i do not know
    how many people are affected by this breakage. for now, i will leave things alone and suggest
    that anyone suffering this problem simply add -f7 to their command line. if this turns out
    to be a widespread issue, i will change the source to select the single channel method by default.

if you would like to do this yourself, all you need to do is change line 198 of mythchanger.c from:

Code:
    STBS[stb].changer = 6;
    to:

Code:
    STBS[stb].changer = 7;
    then make clean, make and sudo make install.

sorry for the hassles... but it looks like this one is outta my hands. i will play with it more
    when time allows.

Beans
    Distro

Adding -f7 to the command line works for me. Thanks for the quick fix!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast