Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook(Pro) with Nvidia graphics adapter display backlight fix call for testing

Beans

Re: MacBook(Pro) with Nvidia graphics adapter display backlight fix call for testing

Hi, I see here:
    Added support for the following new GPUs:
    GeForce 9400M

I running to install this driver.
    Excuse me for my bad english - MacBook 5,1 2.0 Ghz

Beans

Re: MacBook(Pro) with Nvidia graphics adapter display backlight fix call for testing

Argh, now (with last beta driver) changing brightness (with echo) not works in X11

Some ideas?
    Last edited by ercoppa; December 2nd, 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

Hi Mario,

glxinfo | grep OpenGL gives me:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9600M GT/PCI/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 177.80
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    OpenGL extensions:

I'm not getting any crashing and am using my machine for work so I'm pretty much on it full time

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pouipschngoku View Post
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL gives me:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9600M GT/PCI/SSE2
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    OpenGL extensions:

I'm not getting any crashing and am using my machine for work so I'm pretty much on it full time.
    i meant that glxinfo whould crash if you were running the open-source driver.

however, it looks like you're (a) using the proprietary driver and (b) on a MacBookPro 5. this problem only affects MacBook 5 and MacBook Air 2, so we still have no solution yet.

ciao,
    Mario

Beans

I've posted in another thread[1] The News , but why not also here? The brightness regulation keys F(n)1 and F(n)2 work on the MBP 5,1 with the 3D-effects enabled (activate effects, shutdown, boot).

Regards, Nikos

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=36

Beans

The brightness regulation keys F(n)1 and F(n)2 work on the MBP 5,1 with the 3D-effects enabled (activate effects, shutdown, boot).
    Not for me
    What version of nvidia is installed? Do you have installed hal-nvidia-bl? With 3D-effects enabled, the echo (echo 15 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/mbp_backlight/brightness) works in X11?
    Last edited by ercoppa; December 5th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ercoppa View Post
    Not for me
    What version of nvidia is installed? Do you have installed hal-nvidia-bl? With 3D-effects enabled, the echo (echo 15 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/mbp_backlight/brightness) works in X11?
    Dear ercoppa,
    here you go.

1. Driver version
    Code:
    nvidia-settings -g | grep version

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
      server glx version string: 1.4
      client glx version string: 1.4
    2. About "hal"
    Code:
    lsmod | grep nvidia
    mbp_nvidia_bl          12568  0 
    nvidia               7804864  38 
    i2c_core               36128  1 nvidia
    3. Yes, the command (you mentioned above) works fine.

Regards, Nikos

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ercoppa View Post
    Not for me
    the package hal-nvidia-bl shouldn't be necessary. however, i believe, you won't have luck asking Nikos.Alexandris. he's running a MacBookPro 5, while your machine, according to your previous posts, is a MacBook 5. this problem only affects MacBook 5 and MacBookAir 2 in conjunction with Nvidia's proprietary driver. MacBookPro 5's were reported to work, no matter which driver is in use.

ciao,
    Mario

Beans

Edit: erased not to bother in this thread. _mario_'s answer below could be useful anyway to other users.
    Last edited by heluani; December 12th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heluani View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread (I'll erase/edit this post upon request)
    you could have started a new thead, haven't you

Quote Originally Posted by heluani View Post
    ... but I've been trying to get the screen working without the restricted drivers on a Macbook Air 2.1. Indeed the brightness can be controlled within X in this case, but the problem is that I can't get 1280x800. Getting the modeline with gtf and adding the mode with xrandr seems to work fine, but then trying to change the mode either from xrandr or gnome-display-properties just gives an error (configure crtc 0 failed). Is there another method of changing the resolution without the restricted drivers?
    which driver are you using? i changed to the open-source driver for testing purposes and it worked. what does:
    Code:
    grep "NV: Found" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    give? the open-source driver starts all lines with 'NV:'.

you can also list all detected modelines by issuing:
    Code:
    grep "NV(0): Modeline" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    and a modern display should report all supported modes properly.

however, since the open-source driver doesn't seem to support the 9400M yet (a least it's not listed), could it be that you're using the vesa framebuffer driver? that doesn't support xrandr? just a guess...

ciao,
    Mario

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast