Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good GUI code editor/complier?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What is a good GUI code editor/complier?

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Then use Visual Studio For IDE's, editors, and GUI toolkits (including GUI designers), see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4716120

There is no $800 IDE for non free, restricted environments for Linux that is in common use or that I know of.
    http://www.omnicore.com/en/xdevelop.htm

You're welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by riahc3 View Post
    Why would I need tutorials for qt4? I want something that is like Visual Studio and is easy to use.
    If you're not willing to learn anything new, why are you using Ubuntu? Nobody can use Visual Studio straight away without having learnt something about programming and how to use it.
    Last edited by ad_267; November 10th, 2008 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    If you're not willing to learn anything new, why are you using Ubuntu? Nobody can use Visual Studio straight away without having learnt something about programming and how to use it.
    Well, if he wanted to, he could develop .NET apps on Windows/VS.NET and deploy them to Ubuntu.

I suspect though that there's a little misunderstanding going on - he wants an IDE with the usual features like code completion and breakpoints, but is being told to look at tutorials for a C++ toolkit, which is... a change in scope. Especially if he wants an integrated GUI designer (though I think the QT development packages include a GUI designer)

Beans

My vote goes to Code::Blocks and NetBeans!

They're so great I can't decide which one to use

If you're moving from VS, I presume you want to design GUI apps, but I dare to suggest you to first do a couple of GUI-less apps and to get to know the linux a little bit more before trying to create GUI apps - it'll simplify your life!

Beans

@OP Linux is very diverse. There is no One Ring to bind everything together. This means, there is no single IDE which does what you want, for various reasons (on of them being the GUI toolkit isn't part of Linux). So you have to pick your tools. You need your compiler (gcc, for C), your GUI toolkit and designer (GTK+, for C), and your editor, which can be an IDE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why would I need tutorials for qt4? I want something that is like Visual Studio and is easy to use.
    Well if you are a Visual C 6.0 developer then u'll find Qt to be really really easy to learn and use. It's *almost* as easy as Dotnet and Java. Have a look at it you won't be disappointed.

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7yje3D1UM4
    Last edited by thelinuxer; November 11th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.

Beans

Im not "migrating" from VS.

I would use VS in Ubuntu if it was supported under WINE but I can't seem to be able to install it.

I would love a VS clone for Linux.

Beans

Bumping up.

I simply want something like VS; Install, open up the program, make a project, make a source file, write code, comply, and run. I don't want to "learn" anything (I put "" because I find it hard to believe that I have to learn something to migrate from VS to this).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bumping up.

I simply want something like VS; Install, open up the program, make a project, make a source file, write code, comply, and run. I don't want to "learn" anything (I put "" because I find it hard to believe that I have to learn something to migrate from VS to this).
    I guess there are a lot of people here who gave you lots of options. If you don't want to learn anything new then , I am very sorry , you're out of luck. I don't know why you find it hard, I always have to learn new stuff with every new project! It's not like you reached the level where you know all what you need to know! Consider the options you have and if you need any help the community will help you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Bumping up.

If it is imperative that it is exactly like the product you have learned to use, then use that product. Every other product is guaranteed to be different from the one you're using now. Every later version of the same product also is practically guaranteed to be different.

Er - the verb you want is 'compile', not 'comply'; hence 'compiled', not 'complied'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast