Thread: No sound with MPD over the network!

Beans

No sound with MPD over the network!

Hello. Recently I have been trying to network my 60GB music library around the house.I tried get a upnp network setup with mediatomb and djmount. For me something always goes wrong, so was the case with getting djmount to work *sigh. Anyway I learned about the Music Playing Daemon and gave it a whirl. I edited the mpd.conf file with minimal effort and installed sonata, gmpc and areo to test the the music daemon. I setup MPD to serve up the music at 192.168.1.3:6333. I also uncommented the alsa section of the mpd.conf. I successfully played the music with on the local machine with gmpc but, here's the problem. When I tried playing the the music over my network there was no sound what so ever coming through even though I was able to connect and play the file! I had the same problem on the local machine I tested the setup on, but after uncommenting the alsa audio output section it worked just fine. I have no I clue as to what might be the problem. As always any ideas for a solution are welcome. Thanks
    Linux; life without walls, gates and windows!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: No sound with MPD over the network!

your problem is that MPD doesn't stream music through network, it can only be controlled through network.

But I think MPD can work together with some streaming server like Icecast to get the result you want..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's true, McDuck. But if the OP can get it working with PulseAudio (which supports streaming over networks), that might be an even better solution over a LAN.

That's why I'm here, actually; I've been trying to get MPD to play nice with Pulse on Intrepid, but only the ALSA driver seems to work, and it grabs the entire soundcard. I have tried all the suggestions on the PulseAudio "Perfect Setup" page and the MPD wiki. I don't see any related bugs in Launchpad -- does anyone else have this problem?

I hope this isn't a threadjack -- I want the same thing the OP does, and a fix for this should help both of us.
    Last edited by phetre; November 11th, 2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: embarrassing typo

Beans

I'll try setting up icecast stream. I would still prefer to have more control over the music. not just press play and listen to whatever is streaming. I'm very picky about what I listen to depending on the mood I'm in. I might be able to stream with icecast and control the song that is playing with an MPD client over the network possibly. I still wish there was a suitable UPnp client for linux. Anyway, enough rambling, Back to the drawing board... Again.
    Linux; life without walls, gates and windows!

Beans

just a thought, mpd can be controlled with ssh and command line mpc (stop/play/load playlists etc). And by controlling mpd you control icecast streaming.