Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lex1
    Can somone please tell the line in main.cf and master cf for useing tls BUT not with smtp auth.

lex1
    lex1, please dont post here, PM and email me. One will do, preferably just post in this thread. I simply cant reply to every message, especially when im not sure of the solution (or question).

My guess is that you want TLS security but not SASL authentication? Just remove all references to SASL?
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tortanick
    I'd have thought could not be verified would mean that the certificate was not from a truseted authority like verisign. But I can't say I know for sure.

Flurdy, I have a few questions:
    1) if I wanted to put my mail in its own partition: /mail could I change the line virtual_mailbox_base so it says /mail/spool/mail/virtual instead of /var/spool/mail/virtual in postfix's main.cf or would that cause problems elsewhere?
    The home field in the users table needs to beupdated as well.

2) any plans to update for dapper drake?
    Yes, started it. Also a new thread for dapper specific questions

3) would you mind if I ported the guide to the ubuntu wiki? That way people could add their own little add ons to the guide, I myself have allready written a guide for SQLgrey (looks better than postgrey) although I can't say I'm confident I got it right.

P.S. If you don't want it on the ubuntu wiki I'd happily give you any add-ons I write.
    There are already alternatives in the wiki made by others using slightly different packages and methods. However If you write any add ons, I will happily link to it.
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rklauco
    Acker, did you solve it somehow?
    I got to the same point with latest dapper - no amavisd.conf file created...
    amavisd conf is split into several files.
    thankfully there is a quick work around.

simple put the specific changes into a new 50users file in /etc/amavisd/conf.d

See the new debian thread and the updated 5th edition of the howto
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by und3rtug4
    I had followed the guide mencioned in the begining of the topic, and everything seens to works just fine, except that I cant send any email to any external account (*@gmail.com, *@hotmail.com, *@whatever.com)!!!

Can anyone help me explaining what i did wrong or needs to be done!?

Thanks in advance!
    Is that sending as normal smtp sending or aliasing to external accounts?

You may need to review your main.cf and look a the
    inet_interfaces
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions

is it the sender, client or recipient it doesnt like?
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Beans

I think i have gotten pretty far setting up the email, but i went to the test page and i have recieved this error message:
    ERROR: Required PHP PEAR DB support is not available. Is PEAR installed and is the include path set correctly to find DB.php? The include path is now: ".:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear".
    then when i try to log in with my root username i get these error messages
    Warning: include_once(DB.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/db_prefs.php on line 40

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'DB.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/db_prefs.php on line 40
    ERROR:
    Could not include PEAR database functions required for the database backend.
    Is PEAR installed, and is the include path set correctly to find DB.php?
    Please contact your system administrator and report this error.
    What have i done wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Squirrelmail problem

First, thanks for a great howto!

I'm having a small problem understanding one part of the Squirrelmail configuration though.

While running the conf.pl file to configure Squirrelmail, the howto says to enter 9, then 1, to get to the DSN setup. Ok so far, but then it asks to enter

Code:
    mysql://usename:password@127.0.0.1/database
    Being a mysql newbie, I can't work out if I should type that line literally, or (more likely) if I should substitute my own values. If so, which username, password and database name should I be using?

I must have missed something simple, but trawling the docs and forums hasn't got me anywhere. Any clues??

Beans

WOW! that was the second go round for me. Being a newbie at all this i think i have done alright for myself. I think/guess this isnt to big a problem to fix but whenever i try to log into squirrelmail via http I get
    HTML Code:
    ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
    With your extreme knowledge in this subject im guessing you would know whats going on?

Beans

I am running into a small problem. Whenever I try to auth to check mail the login fails. I have verified that the password that is being send and the password stored in the mysql database match, so I can't figure out why it is failing.

However I have noticed the following in my logs
    Code:
    Jun 30 07:24:52 zues imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    Jun 30 07:24:52 zues imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], command=CAPABILITY
    Jun 30 07:24:53 zues imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], command=LOGIN
    Jun 30 07:24:53 zues imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], username=user@domain
    Jun 30 07:24:53 zues imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], password=cleartextpass
    Jun 30 07:24:53 zues imaplogin: authdaemon: starting client module
    Jun 30 07:24:53 zues imaplogin: authdaemon: TEMPFAIL - no more modules will be tried
    Jun 30 07:24:58 zues imaplogin: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    stripped IP's and acutal domains/passwords/users.. any ideas what is wrong with my setup?

Beans

UPDATE: Please ignore this, I've found the Dapper Drake thread for this HOWTO. Sorry!

Question about this (fabulously thorough) HOWTO on Ubunto 6.06 Dapper Drake:

I'm finding that several of the packages mentioned in the HOWTO are not available...one example would be "courier-authmysql" the spamassasin and a few others. I expect that the spamassassin has yet to be released for Dapper Drake, but others like the courier-authmysql, have they been integrated into the base metapackages or is the support for that module just not available? I love the howto, it's very comprehensive and thorough, but it's frustrating to follow when you can't seem to find all the packages you need to get it to work.

I've considered going to an older version of Ubuntu, but 1) the server is based on the AMD-64 platform, and 2) Email is the last service I need to close this server config....I'd really hate to have to install all that stuff again!

Anyway, thanks for all the effort you've put into this HOWTO, it's one of the best I've seen for any service, much less 5 or 6 at the same time!
    Last edited by herald; June 30th, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

Last edited by Alvadore; July 5th, 2006 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Please delete this post

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast