Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon ip4600 some success

Beans

Re: Canon ip4600 some success

Quote Originally Posted by neigun View Post
    Hi

I would delete the drivers installed and reinstall them as per Metol's instructions.

If you are used to XP download the Debian tar from the Canon webiste. Double click on it to unpack it and then drag and drop the appropriate files into your Home folder.

Then go to Applications/ Accessories and click on Terminal. Just cut and paste Metol's command lines in and when prompted key in your password.

Hope this sorts your problem out.

Neil
    Thanks Neil. I went on to sort the printer and tried "one last time" and it worked No idea why!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This may be an unusual request, but i'm looking to print at less than 600 dpi with this printer very regularly. i want to print out lots of notes that only need to be 'draft' quality (~300dpi), and so not use large volumes of ink. The turboprint driver offers this, but obviously the free trail isn't going to last forever, and neither gutenprint nor the Canon driver seem to have any way of changing this. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
    DC

Beans

I managed to extend the quality and resolution options to some extent. I don't know for sure which one of those options is actually being used but I definitely can print in "draft" mode and also in mode that has more detail than that of "stock" 600 dpi.

Edit file /usr/share/cups/model/canonip4600.ppd and find block that begins with:
    Code:
    *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    ...and add something like:
    Code:
    *Resolution 1200dpi/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 2400dpi/2400 dpi: "<</HWResolution[2400 2400]>>setpagedevice"
    ...to this block (after 600 dpi statement). After this block add another block:
    Code:
    *OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 3
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
    *CNQuality 5/Economy: "5"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality
    ...save file, restart cups. Now reaquire this ppd in printer configuration GUI by changing make and model and once again select Canon iP4600 series Ver.3.00 driver. This operation will regenerate ppd in /etc/cups/ppd directory.
    Last edited by BlaY0; January 7th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Beans

Hi there, if anyone is still on this thread it would be lovely to get some help!

I have tried following the advice from Metol, however I keep getting the same message as described by neigun (14th march '09) - that the file does not exist.

I have extracted the .tar to /home/aliale (no permission to drag files directly into 'home'), such that I have /home/aliale/cnijfilter-common-3.00

Metol, when you say that
    It is acting like the deb file is not in the directory where you are trying to execute the command. Make sure the file is in the directory that you are executing from... tar may have placed the deb file in a sub-directory.
    which file exactly are you referring to?

I have tried opening the cnijfilter-common-3.00 folder & copying all of the subfolders into /home/aliale however it still does not work. Is there a specific file that I need to ensure is available in this directory?

Additionally regarding the dependency: libcupsys2 I get:

aliale@aliale-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install libcupsys2
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Note, selecting libcups2 instead of libcupsys2
    libcups2 is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I can imagine that things have moved on since your original posts (its now 2011!) however I am wondering if this affects the rest of the process?

Any help would be much appreciated as we really need to print off some photos!!

Beans

Anyone managed to get this printer working in 2011?
    Interested in Linux based CCTV/Security? - Check out the live demo: http://xanview.co.uk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi

You shoudl add this ppa to your source list. It provides drivers for many Canon PIXMA printer.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa://michael-gruz/canon
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-common cnijfilter-ip4600series
    Add your printer and you're done.
    You can try to print a test page
    Last edited by demonipuch; May 28th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The above worked nicely. I did have to remove the printer first and re-add it but that was all (except for some fine tuning in the settings).

Thank you very much, demonipuch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by islnd View Post
    I only just noticed your post..........had any luck?

I gave up with cups and the ppd , I've now downloaded Turboprint from http://www.turboprint.info/ , it has been upgraded to include the ip4600. It works a treat 100%, and for the removal of hassle I reckon worth the 30 euros.But you get a month to try it out.

Many thanks for your info. After several attempts to install the Canon driver and being told that the file I was looking could not be found, I gave up and installed Turboprint which worked first time. Thanks again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flawedprefect View Post
    FOlks - go here:

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010649.asp

It includes a printer driver to let linux talk to the 4600 series. Printed test page - all's well.

Having got the driver as I did, how did you install it? Are you using Ubuntu 11.04?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123