Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to mount/access Nokia 5310 by USB

Beans

Unable to mount/access Nokia 5310 by USB

I recently got myself a spanking new Nokia 5310 (xpressmusic) mobile phone, which uses a MicroSD card and is connectable through a Micro-USB cable.

I dualboot Intrepid and Windows XP (for those pesky gaming needs), and run an Asus EEE 900 on the side dualbooting EEEUbuntu and Windows XP.

In XP on both machines, I'm very much able to see the phone as a regular USB mass storage device. No funny business.

In EEEUbuntu, the phone is instantly recognized and mounted as an USB mass storage device. Again, no funny business.

However, my Intrepid install refuses to play along. I get an incredibly annoying error message, as follows:

Unable to mount Nokia Mobile Phones Nokia 5310 XpressMusic.
    Failed to get folder list: -1: Unspecified error
    This error message only comes up the first time I try to plug the device in after a reboot, irrelevant of user login etc. In kde-hal-device-manager (which i installed because I could not find anything similar for Gnome) I can see the phone just fine.

I have purged and reinstalled HAL (and all associated packages). No change. Since the DBUS package is tied up in all kinds of packages I'd rather not have to reinstall later, I've only tried aptitude reinstall:ing it. No change.

This is incredibly annoying. According to google, noone has EVER gotten the same error message I got. Not one hit. Not only is it annoying, but it's kind of ridiculous.

In any case, I'm starting to wonder if it could have anything to do with DBUS. I may have managed to fsck up some config file or another. I have no idea which one or if I'm even on the right track.

Any ideas? Please? Pretty please?

Beans

Re: Unable to mount/access Nokia 5310 by USB

You are not alone. Be careful with intrepid ibex with you Xpress Music? Because i was brave enough to shot it down when i tried to unmount the card from ubuntu ibex and never got boot back. So i had to send it for a good amount( my money) repair. I had to reinstall the os(in short flexing). Be careful. I did not know intrepid ibex has problems until recently. After flexing when i tried to mount Nokia on ibex, it listed on the usb (lsusb), but did not mount. So i thought of giving a try with live boot cd of hardy (8.04) and it worked. So ibex has some problems. Even if your phone mounts on ibex, be careful

Beans

Solved (by jmaxx). You may visit the 3rd page for his post. The post says

1- Download these two files

http://www.esnips.com/doc/2ca0b833-c...rage.rules.tar

http://www.esnips.com/doc/79f10bc4-b...ions.rules.tar

2- Backup 60-persistent-storage.rules and 40-permissions.rules of /etc/udev/rules.d/

3- rename 65-persistent-storage.rules to 60-persistent-storage.rules

4- copy 60-persistent-storage.rules and
    40-permissions.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/

Thanks jmaxx. It worked for me in 8.10. Hope it works for all.
    Last edited by razorxpress; November 23rd, 2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: The problem is solved

Beans

me too! Nokia 5610 XpressMusic.
    I managed to mount (manual mode-select on the phone, then press abort after connecting) as memorydevice and I am able to read from the phone as well as create folders but as soon as I try to write a file to the phone's flash memory there is "-1 unknown error".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i have the same problem. I can't mount my 5310, only in modo photographie i can download my pictures. Any solution??

Beans

No solutions yet.

Right now, I use either a cheap bluetooth adapter (slow, but works) or a microSD-capable card reader (cumbersome, but works and is faster).

I've even contemplated switching back to Hardy by reinstalling just to get this to work.

Bah.

Beans

Yes, I also use an external cardreader to maintain my phone's music-archive (I use it as an mp3/aac player daily).
    The access is faster but unfortunately it takes ages after put the flash back to the phone to rebuild the library.
    I'd really appreciate to have that issue fixed.

Beans

Yeah, like I said, cumbersome.

My solution for the moment is to cram one album of each of the artists I usually feel like listening to onto the MicroSD, and then not touching anything. Pros: Not spending a lot of time updating the database or transfering mp3's. Con: Same bloody albums every bloody day...

Seriously, has anyone filed a bug report on this? If not, I think I will, despite the fact that I don't have any idea whatsoever which piece of software/driver is responsible.

Quite probably, the peoblem is completely unknown to people upstream - if it only affects one specific type of phone...

jmaxx I can't mount my 5310, only in modo photographie i can download my pictures..
    Exactly... Same problem here... Also when someone comes with a good idea on how to solve this, i'd appreciate some help on syncing with Rhythmbox...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, exactly the same trouble here. I have a Nokia 3500c.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast