Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Command+C to Copy

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to Command+C to Copy

nano for the win... err let's return to the topic

Have you tried any of these suggestions timchesonis?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    This is what works for me on my G5 PPC iMac running Intrepid..

Create a hidden file in your home directory, .Xmodmap

Code:
    remove control = Control_L Control_R
    clear mod4
    keycode 115 = Super_L Super_L
    keycode 116 = Super_R Super_R
    add control = Super_L Super_R
    Be careful with your R's and L's. Then logout and back in, or reboot...

I went nuts with this a few years ago, and an emacs-guy gave me the tip for the clear mod4. Part of the reason I use vi.
    I have done as you have suggested above, however, it's not "copying", when I hold the Command key & C Key to copy, and I need to paste as well.

Can you modify the lines of code abave to allow for copying AND pasting? Ideally, Command Key + C, and Command Key + V

This would be so helpful. Thanks for helping out this far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by timchesonis View Post
    I have done as you have suggested above, however, it's not "copying", when I hold the Command key & C Key to copy, and I need to paste as well.

Can you modify the lines of code abave to allow for copying AND pasting? Ideally, Command Key + C, and Command Key + V

This would be so helpful. Thanks for helping out this far.
    i think the proper way of doing so is:
    Code:
    !
    ! xmodmap script to swap left control & command keys
    !
    remove control   = Control_L
    remove mod4      = Super_L Hyper_L
    keysym Control_L = Super_L Hyper_L
    keysym Super_L   = Control_L
    add    control   = Control_L
    add    mod4      = Super_L Hyper_L

! ***** end of source *****
    (see man xmodmap.) this script completely swaps the left control and command key (for all uses not just copy and paste) without breaking compiz shortcuts.

simply put this code in a file called .xmodmap in your home directory (to be executed upon login) or call:
    Code:
    xmodmap .xmodmap
    if you break your keyboard layout while playing around, you can use this command to revert back (the actual arguments might be different):
    Code:
    setxkbmap -layout de -variant mac_nodeadkeys
    ciao,
    Mario

Beans

Well, unfortunately, that didn't work. When logging out and then logging back in, I lost some of my Gnome look and feel, plus when typing "test" in textpad, and holding the command key down while hitting the "C" key, and then letting go, and then holding the Command key down and hitting the "V" key, . . . all it did was bring my mouse cursor to the center of the screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not that hard, just go into system>preferences>keyboard.
    Click layouts, highlight your layout and click more options. Then click alt/win behavior and select "control is mapped to the win-keys"
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Hidden!

Strange, it works for me. However, I have only tried it in Gedit, Abiword, and OpenOffice. Is it not working for you in these programs?

(I just tested and it isn't working in a terminal...)

I'll bet there are some more mods necessary, but I stopped when it was working in these programs. Is the keyboard Apple oem, and are you running Intrepid? I've only tested this in Intrepid...
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, unfortunately, that didn't work. When logging out and then logging back in, I lost some of my Gnome look and feel, plus when typing "test" in textpad, and holding the command key down while hitting the "C" key, and then letting go, and then holding the Command key down and hitting the "V" key, . . . all it did was bring my mouse cursor to the center of the screen.
    i mentioned that it *completely* swaps those keys. that means you have to press Control+T for actions that formerly were Command+T, e.g. to launch a terminal from your window manager by keyboard shortcut. likewise Command+C is now Control+C, and so on. if the cursor now jumps to the middle of the screen (accessibility settings allow that) by pressing Command+V, there must have been a feature that does so by pressing Control+V before. did you fiddle around with keyboard and accessibility options and enabled something you (and we) don't expect. i agree with stream303. there is something really strange...

ciao,
    Mario

Beans
    Hidden!

Right - command-T now brings up a new tab in Firefox like it's suppose to, etc.

I wonder if it is a keyboard issue - I'm using an American Apple usb keyboard - I wonder if his is International or third party which may need different keycodes etc.

Sure wish I was a keyboard expert - which I'm not unfortunately.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12