Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How to configure screen and keyboard backlight in Intrepid?

Beans

Re: How to configure screen and keyboard backlight in Intrepid?

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    If you feel like experimenting, you can uncomment the light_sensor settings in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-applesmc.fdi. It should make gnome-power-manager aware of the light_sensor, and start using it. The reason it is commented out is that the behavior had issues before, and I have not looked further into it. If you would get it work, please report
    REPORT:

1. If the keyboard backlight is off, it does not automatically turn itself on when I darken the room. So it seems that part doesn't work. Maybe there are ways to tweak the settings?

2. On the other hand, the screen seems to dim a bit automatically when I switch to battery, and automatically increase when I plug in the power cord. Can't recall if this behavior existed before.

3. On a positive note, my system is now correctly remembering the previously set keyboard brightness, even after a reboot or suspend! So uncommenting that code seems to have fixed the problem reported at the end of this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...69#post6141769. Very strange.
    [EDIT: The previous value is NOT remembered. Instead, the keyboard backlight is turned off on each boot/suspend, regardless of the previously setting.]
    Last edited by hyperboloid; November 10th, 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: clarification
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hyperboloid View Post
    2. On the other hand, the screen seems to dim a bit automatically when I switch to battery, and automatically increase when I plug in the power cord. Can't recall if this behavior existed before.
    I am pretty sure that is a separate function.

Beans

Yes, the AC/Battery switch is separate. If you cover the light sensors at the top of the screen with your hand, the LCD brightness (and possibly the keyboard) should dim down. Regarding remembering the keyboard brightness, I have a hard time thinking the switching on of the light_sensor can affect that. Please check again by commenting out the light_sensor settings and see if it still works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

So, following all of the suggestions given here I still got no keyboard backlighting at all. Regardless of what I set anything to in gconf or what I comment/uncomment in the .fdi file.

I have a MacBookPro 3,1 and the applesmc module and the mbp_nvidia_bl module are both loaded. I also have the mactel g-p-m and the mactel hal-applesmc installed.

Is there something else that I need to do in order to get the keyboard backlight working?
    UNDERTAKINGYOU--
    ------------------------

Beans

Yes, the AC/Battery switch is separate. If you cover the light sensors at the top of the screen with your hand, the LCD brightness (and possibly the keyboard) should dim down. Regarding remembering the keyboard brightness, I have a hard time thinking the switching on of the light_sensor can affect that. Please check again by commenting out the light_sensor settings and see if it still works.
    In that case, it is NOT working at all. Covering up the sensors with my hand had no effect on display backlight or keyboard backlight.

The keyboard backlight is turned off on suspend/reboot when the code is uncommented, and when I revert back to the original fdi file I'm getting the backlight turned on (fully) after each suspend/resume.
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Two things to check after rebooting:
    Code:
    hal-find-by-capability --capability keyboard_backlight
    Code:
    hal-find-by-capability --capability light_sensor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

will@will-laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability keyboard_backlight
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/macbook_pro_keyboard_backlight
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/applesmc_keyboard_backlight
    will@will-laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability light_sensor
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/macbook_pro_light_sensor
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/applesmc_light_sensor

So I get output that says that I should get some backlight. Anyway to try and force the backlight level to see if I can get anything at all?
    UNDERTAKINGYOU--
    ------------------------

Beans

Two things to check after rebooting:
    Code:
    hal-find-by-capability --capability keyboard_backlight
    Code:
    hal-find-by-capability --capability light_sensor
    OK, here you are:
    Code:
    me@laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability keyboard_backlight
    me@laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability light_sensor
    me@laptop:~$
    My /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-applesmc.fdi looks like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">

<device>
        <match key="platform.id" contains="applesmc">
         <spawn udi="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/applesmc_keyboard_backlight"/>

<spawn udi="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/applesmc_light_sensor"/>

</match>
      </device>

<device>
        <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/applesmc_keyboard_backlight">
          <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">keyboard_backlight</append>
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">Applesmc Keyboard Backlight</merge>
          <merge key="keyboard_backlight.num_levels" type="int">256</merge>
          <merge key="keyboard_backlight.access_method" type="string">custom</merge>
          <merge key="linux.sysfs_path" type="string">/sys/class/leds/smc::kbd_backlight</merge>
          <append key="info.addons" type="strlist">hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight</append>
        </match>
      </device>

<device>
        <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/applesmc_light_sensor">
          <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">light_sensor</append>
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">Applesmc Light Sensor</merge>
          <merge key="light_sensor.num_sensors" type="int">1</merge>
          <merge key="light_sensor.num_levels" type="int">64</merge>
          <append key="light_sensor.sensor_locations" type="strlist">left</append>
          <merge key="light_sensor.access_method" type="string">custom</merge>
          <merge key="linux.sysfs_path" type="string">/sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/light</merge>
          <append key="info.addons" type="strlist">hald-addon-generic-light-sensor</append>
        </match>
      </device>

</deviceinfo>
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by undertakingyou View Post
    will@will-laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability keyboard_backlight
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/macbook_pro_keyboard_backlight
    will@will-laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability light_sensor
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/macbook_pro_light_sensor

So I get output that says that I should get some backlight. Anyway to try and force the backlight level to see if I can get anything at all?
    Ah! You are the victim of an earlier hal bug. Remove all references to your macbook model from the file /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-macbookpro-utils.fdi. Then reboot (or restart hal and X). The problem is described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/125918

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyperboloid View Post
    OK, here you are:
    Code:
    me@laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability keyboard_backlight
    me@laptop:~$ hal-find-by-capability --capability light_sensor
    me@laptop:~$
    Thank you. I believe I found the problem in gnome-power-manager. I have uploaded new versions of hal-applesmc and gnome-power-manager to the mactel PPA, they should be available within half an hour. Please test them

Here are values I changed in the apps/gnome-power-manager/ambient section, using gconf-editor. They work well for me.
    Code:
    correction_factor: 50 (how much in percent the ambient sensor should influence the brightness)
    correction_scale: 1000 (how much in percent to scale the reading of the ambient sensor. readings are fairly low, so ten times seems ok)
    dim_policy: none (unchanged)
    enable: checked
    poll_timeout: 30 (seconds: reasonable value. dont set too low)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast