Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VMware server 2 vsock warning

Beans

VMware server 2 vsock warning

Hi,

Wondering if anyone encountered this vsock warning when installing vmware server 2 on intrepid.

Code:
    None of the pre-built vsock modules for VMware Server is suitable for your 
    running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vsock module for 
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] 

Extracting the sources of the vsock module.

Building the vsock module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/linux/af_vsock.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/linux/driverLog.o
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/linux/util.o
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/linux/util.c: In function ‘VSockVmciLogPkt’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/linux/util.c:157: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/linux/vsockAddr.o
      LD [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: "VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd" [/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd" [/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "VMCI_GetContextID" [/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "VMCIDatagram_Send" [/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
      CC      /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.mod.o
      LD [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only/vsock.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
    cp -f vsock.ko ./../vsock.o
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock-only'
    Unable to make a vsock module that can be loaded in the running kernel:
    insmod: error inserting '/tmp/vmware-config0/vsock.o': -1 Unknown symbol in module
    There is probably a slight difference in the kernel configuration between the 
    set of C header files you specified and your running kernel.  You may want to 
    rebuild a kernel based on that directory, or specify another directory.

The VM communication interface socket family is used in conjunction with the VM
    communication interface to provide a new communication path among guests and 
    host.  The rest of this software provided by VMware Server is designed to work 
    independently of this feature.  If you wish to have the VSOCK feature  you can 
    install the driver by running vmware-config.pl again after making sure that 
    gcc, binutils, make and the kernel sources for your running kernel are 
    installed on your machine. These packages are available on your distribution's 
    installation CD.
    [ Press the Enter key to continue.]
    it says i got to make sure gcc,binutils,make and kernel sources for my running kernel are installed.Any advice on how to fix it?

Beans

Re: VMware server 2 vsock warning

I get the same error when I am trying to compile vmtools with Ubuntu 8.10. I once found another thread on this virtualization forum but no one replies and the "advice" people give is incorrect, just plain wrong, or they say "just use Ubuntu 8.04." Well, thanks for that lame advice, but I am asking about Ubunutu 8.10 not 8.04. Basically it seems if you want to use VMWare and Ubuntu 8.10 it is not possible to install/compile the vmtools. Too bad, wish more people could help on this or offer suggestions that "work!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I experienced the exact same error with "2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP ... x86_64 GNU/Linux" and vmware-server 2.0.0-116503.x86_64

Was installed in Hardy (working) and upgraded yesterday to Intrepid. Trying to solve this since one day. Tried http://kramfs.com/2008/07/13/vmware-...e-vsock-module and http://www.insecure.ws/2008/10/20/vm...nd-kernel-2627 workarounds without success.
    Currently downloading vmware-server 2.0.0-122956.x86_64 to see if this chnage anything.

Beans

i've tried vmware server 2 build 122956 x86 on intrepid following some of the links also but unsuccessful.Seems like there is still no solution for intrepid but am sure people are working it out so we may have to wait patiently.

Beans

I am having same issue after upgrading to intrepid kubuntu. This will probably be a major issue for anyone relying on vmware server 2 for more than just hobby work.

There is a patch but apparently its only for 1.x http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/11/...627-7-generic/

VMware server 2 error during install:

None of the pre-built vsock modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vsock module for
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Extracting the sources of the vsock module.

Building the vsock module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/linux/af_vsock.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/linux/driverLog.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/linux/util.o
    /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/linux/util.c: In function ‘VSockVmciLogPkt’:
    /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/linux/util.c:157: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/linux/vsockAddr.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: "VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd" [/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd" [/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "VMCI_GetContextID" [/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "VMCIDatagram_Send" [/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.ko] undefined!
    CC /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.mod.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only/vsock.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
    cp -f vsock.ko ./../vsock.o
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock-only'
    Unable to make a vsock module that can be loaded in the running kernel:
    insmod: error inserting '/tmp/vmware-config3/vsock.o': -1 Unknown symbol in module

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have vmware server 2 working on 2 Intrepid installations, a desktop and a server.

When I upgraded these two machines to Intrepid I was using vmware server 1.06. I had the vsock error on one machine when re-compiling the drivers but not the other. I used the patch someone else mentioned to get that one working.

In one install I had difficulty with the header files. I think the Intrepid upgrade failed to get the right ones. This would be worth checking - perhaps uninstall and re-install them?

In both cases I had a warning about the version of gcc (I think) being used but the final product worked fine.

I have also heard of people having success with vmware serve 2 and the patch (even though it's supposedly only for 1.xx):
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/11/...627-7-generic/
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans

I experienced the gcc warning when trying to install vmware server 2 on hardy.

Now I got the vsock warning when trying to install on Intrepid.I have also tried the patch on vm server 2 but the warning still exist.Just to point out that I tried to proceed despite the warning and am able to complete the installation,although im not sure if it will introduce any errors during usage yet.

yeah the patch works fine for vm server 1.0x.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

I found the time to test again the vmware-update-2.6.27-5.5.7-2.tar.gz patch, but this time on a fresh 8.10 / 64 setup inside virtualbox (as a side note, it happens this vmware issue allowed me to discover again virtualbox).

The build still fails on vsock, but this time the web interface runs well, I can create VM, but not run them. Power up fails at 95 %, "Failed to initialize monitor device" but this is perhaps too "complicated" (who want to install a virtualization sofware inside a virtualized guest ).

On my real machine Vmware 2 was installed before upgrade to 8.10, but removed it and installed it again, so this should not be different.

Beans

Hi thierrybo,

I have the same exact issue as yours when using the patch.Seems like its better to do without it.Except minus the vsock feature.

reference to this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...69#post6193469

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Rumor has it the next version of VMWare Server will fix this
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast