Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: VMware server 2 vsock warning

Beans

Re: VMware server 2 vsock warning

I am running VMware Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735 and while the patches discussed here worked for the previous version of Workstation (6.5.1) and VMware Server 2.0 and Ubuntu 8.10, they aren't working for me in the current version with 2.6.27.11-generic. The symptom I have is that the shared clipboard isn't functional. Anyone else seeing this? I haven't tried it with VMware Server 2.01 yet, which is now three weeks old.

Beans

Sorry for the false alarm - I found a note which I am sure is from a post here:

The second issue is that vmware-user doesn't automatically start - this is because we accidentally left out a line in the autostart config. vmware-user is responsible for lots of stuff, including screen resizing. A workaround is to specify /usr/bin/vmware-user to autostart in System > Preferences > Sessions.

I had forgotten this step. It is working now. Just to be sure I uninstalled the tools, and then re-installed from the set that comes with 6.5.2 build-156735 and I found that it works without the patches.

Beans

I've successfully gotten vmware server up on the last beta and the 4-16 RC for Jaunty Server x64.

Here's my recipe:

If you are not logged in as root, remember to precede all commands with sudo.

Register an account at the VMWare site. Once you are logged in you can download VMWare Server, you will need to save the Product Keys from the download page to a text file.

tar –xvf <download file>
    apt-get install linux-headers-`uname –r` build-essential xinetd
    cd /vmware-server-distrib
    ./vmware-install.pl
    To most questions you will accept the default.
    If it doesn't accept your Product Key, you can enter that after installation.
    You may want to specify a different directory than the default for your virtual machine location, I give them a big partition and mount it at vm, then share it with Samba so it is easy to put stuff there.
    The last question asks you to configure VMWare server. Answer No.
    You will need to create an account at Ubuntu Forums in order to download this file: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...7&d=1227872015 to /usr/bin/
    patch /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.patch
    Now you can run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl. This script will walk you through setting up your networks and compiles some support libraries. Generally go with the default.
    Launch firefox to https://<your vmware host name>:8333 and login with the account specified during installation (default is the account used for install), from the application menu choose enter serial number and cut and paste the number you saved earlier. From administration you may want to add one or more user accounts, on linux these must be local accounts, the web interface seems unaware of domain accounts accessible through winbind.
    Last edited by brainbuz; April 23rd, 2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: adjust a path that was non-standard from my install to the standard

Beans

no manual entry for patch. do i need to apt-get install patch?

Beans

got my answer. i used synaptic package manager and installed dpatch. new to patch mgt in ubuntu but i get it now. works great thanks all.

Beans

one final issue however is that i'm running jaunty - ubuntu 9.04 and downloaded the latest vmware server tar bundle 2.0.1 Build 156745.

i've not been able to find the vmware-config-tools.pl file in either usr/bin nor /bin directories.

does anyone know where this file is located in the latest vmware server (after vmware server gets installed that is!)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by zeropegleg View Post
    one final issue however is that i'm running jaunty - ubuntu 9.04 and downloaded the latest vmware server tar bundle 2.0.1 Build 156745.

i've not been able to find the vmware-config-tools.pl file in either usr/bin nor /bin directories.

does anyone know where this file is located in the latest vmware server (after vmware server gets installed that is!)?
    it's just called vmware-config.pl now.

(and it's in /usr/bin)
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: VMware server 2 vsock warning

The patch also works on Jaunty: 2.6.28-11-generic

Much appreciated.

Beans

Amazing. The vmware-config.pl patch worked beautifully. Thanks a lot, brainbuz, for your instructions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sweet. Your patch worked great brainbuz.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast