Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Fix for Stuck Volume/Multimedia Keys

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] Fix for Stuck Volume/Multimedia Keys

This did not work for me, I have a Toshiba Satellite U305-S7448. I used Method 1. Now, the volume control knob does not control volume, but it now does not "lock" the system (i do not have to use CTRL-ALT-F1 to get out of it). While this is much better, I still have to use the desktop applet or such to control the volume.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ztrange View Post
    Also method 1 worked like a charm, thank you very much. Just one question, wont it prevent me from getting it fixed whenever the official patch arives?
    It shouldn't. The APT package manager doesn't know we're replacing the files- so when you download an evdev update, it'll simply replace your hand-patched driver.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeskins
    This did not work for me, I have a Toshiba Satellite U305-S7448. I used Method 1. Now, the volume control knob does not control volume, but it now does not "lock" the system.
    That's... weird. It doesn't seem to be autorepeating anymore, which indicates to me that the code is affecting the right keys... but the evdev driver no longer seems to be registering their key-down in the first place. And since this code just says 'KEY-DOWN', 'KEY-UP', it might be possible that something on your system is causing them to happen too quickly for the system to even count it as a keypress.

Even odder, as I'm using a Satellite U305 myself; so I can say with reasonable certainty that it's probably not your hardware.

If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me...

1) Can you make sure that your keyboard shortcuts are still mapped to XF86VolumeDown and XF86VolumeUp in System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts? I know it's basic, but I have to ask.

2) Did you ever use Hardy Heron? Did the volume knob work with that? Did it work with any past versions? Those used a different driver (kbd.so), which had a similar patch.

3) Can you run the following for me, spin the volume wheel a little while it's running and post the results?

Code:
    sudo evtest /dev/input/event1
    'event1' should be the event number of your keyboard.
    You can press CTRL+C once you spin the volume wheel to exit.

I'd appreciate it if you included just a few lines of the information it prints when it first runs, too. They should look like this:

Code:
    Input driver version is 1.0.0
    Input device ID: bus 0x11 vendor 0x1 product 0x1 version 0xab41
    Input device name: "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    <snip>
        Event code 113 (Mute)
        Event code 114 (VolumeDown)
        Event code 115 (VolumeUp)
    <snip>
    (Spinning the volume wheel might not do anything to the terminal. That's good.)
    Last edited by ktemkin; November 16th, 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ktemkin View Post
    1) Can you make sure that your keyboard shortcuts are still mapped to XF86VolumeDown and XF86VolumeUp in System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts? I know it's basic, but I have to ask.
    They are still mapped that way.

2) Did you ever use Hardy Heron? Did the volume knob work with that? Did it work with any past versions? Those used a different driver (kbd.so), which had a similar patch.
    Yes, this was an upgrade. I have been using Ubuntu since 7.04. No patches, everything worked.

3) Can you run the following for me, spin the volume wheel a little while it's running and post the results?

Code:
    sudo evtest /dev/input/event1
    'event1' should be the event number of your keyboard.
    You can press CTRL+C once you spin the volume wheel to exit.

I'd appreciate it if you included just a few lines of the information it prints when it first runs, too. They should look like this:

Code:
    <snip>
        Event code 113 (Mute)
    <snip>
    (Spinning the volume wheel might not do anything to the terminal. That's good.)
    Code:
    Supported events:
      Event type 0 (Reset)
        Event code 0 (Reset)
        Event code 1 (Key)
        Event code 4 (?)
        Event code 17 (LED)
        Event code 20 (Repeat)
      Event type 1 (Key)
    <snip>
        Event code 113 (Mute)
    <snip>
    It did nothing.

Thanks very much for your time. That's what makes Ubuntu and this community fun... you can actually find out info and get help.

Beans

It is working now!

When I was trying to fix this earlier, I found a thread that said to install pulse Audio. After i had posted the last reply, I purged all of the pulse audio stuff and force reloaded alsa, and it worked. I rebooted to make sure.

Thanks again.

(Now if i can only get the wifi stuff fixed)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=983365

Beans
    Distro

Good! Glad to hear so many of you have gotten this working. I must say- I've only been using Linux exclusively for a short while now, and it's absolutely a breath of fresh air to have open source drivers.

It's a great feeling to be able to see something that bothers you- or doesn't work- and change it programatically with relative ease. Open source really is wonderful.

Beans

I can't get it to compile (in Ibex)...

PHP Code:
    libtoolcompile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. --O2 -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman--I../src -MT evdev.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/evdev.Tpo -c evdev.c  -fPIC -DPIC -.libs/evdev.o
    evdev
    .cIn function ‘EvdevKbdCtrl’:
    evdev.c:707warningignoring return value of ‘write’declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    evdev
    .cAt top level:
    evdev.c:1445error‘PACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    evdev.c:1445error‘PACKAGE_VERSION_MINOR’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    evdev.c:1445error‘PACKAGE_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    make[2]: *** [evdev.loError 1
    make
    [2]: Leaving directory `/home/jon/evdev/evdev_fix/src' 
    Hacking in these values (2, 0, 99 respectively) leads to other problems, but these are in the man directory, so I gues we can skip 'em.

Let's see if it works...

Beans

...nope

See this question for more details : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=980848

I suspect the keycode I have put in evdev.c is being picked up and processed by another part of the system...

Beans
    Distro

Yes, your issue definitely seems like the same one. Can I ask if the compile errors happens if you compile evdev without any of your changes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Used your pre- 1 or 2 suggestion as a workaround! (remapping keys) Brand new to Linux and it is very exciting, but complex fixes are a bit scary still. Thanks for a good solution.

Beans

Code:
    evdev.c: In function ‘EvdevKbdCtrl’:
    evdev.c:705: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    evdev.c: At top level:
    evdev.c:1443: error: ‘PACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    evdev.c:1443: error: ‘PACKAGE_VERSION_MINOR’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    evdev.c:1443: error: ‘PACKAGE_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    Awww i was really hoping id fix the problem but im struggling here any help?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast