Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mint vs Ubuntu video tearing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mint vs Ubuntu video tearing

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this.

In recent releases with Ubuntu, or any derivative, I have video tearing with or without compiz.

Strangely, Mint doesn't give me that issue. Although, there are problems with compiz and video (i don't care much for effects), there is no video tearing, only a slight blue background around the borders when moving the video.

Anyone know why? I'm currently looking for a distro to stick with, but Mint isn't exactly it. If i can find out the reason for this, than I should be able to find a distro that wouldn't havv the problem without having to install 1x times first.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Mint vs Ubuntu video tearing

The difference is probably the video driver used in each of the distros -- there have been quite a few complaints about latest nvidia drivers and tearing issues, for example.

Beans

They use the same drivers. The difference is that all Gnome based Mint editions are based on Ubuntu Edgy and are modified to run the latest Ubuntu packages. Being that Mint is Edgy based this may be why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought Mint 5 was based on Hardy.
    This space available for ads Call 888-888-8888

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Would that mean mint is using an older xorg package? or is the intel driver managed separately from xorg?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjb34 View Post
    I thought Mint 5 was based on Hardy.
    It is and isn't.

The original Mint was Edgy based. For every new release they built upon the last release, modifying it to run the latest Ubuntu packages.

Lets try and easier approach, LinuxMint is "based" on Hardy, but "built" on Edgy. Does that help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well,...that may explain some things for me too! I have an onboard Intel I815 video card thingy,....and it works fairly well in Ubuntu (except for most of the screensavers!!!!). But Linux Mint just had a lot of that video tearing (couldn't get it to work). I stuck in an old (yuck!) Matrox Mytique video card,.....and both Ubuntu and Mint love it! Even the screensavers work perfectly. And that Matrox Mytique is pretty old now. Go figure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've had tearing in Compiz since I first started using Ubuntu. Turning on the "Sync To VBlank" option in CCSM eliminates the tearing for me, but you can notice the heavy hit on the frame rate when spinning the cube, for example.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    It is and isn't.

The original Mint was Edgy based. For every new release they built upon the last release, modifying it to run the latest Ubuntu packages.

Lets try and easier approach, LinuxMint is "based" on Hardy, but "built" on Edgy. Does that help?
    Not really, I know where you're getting that from, though. Why couldn't Clem just say it was based on Hardy?

He didn't have to get all complicated with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by L815 View Post
    I'm not sure this is the right place to post this.

In recent releases with Ubuntu, or any derivative, I have video tearing with or without compiz.

Strangely, Mint doesn't give me that issue. Although, there are problems with compiz and video (i don't care much for effects), there is no video tearing, only a slight blue background around the borders when moving the video.

Anyone know why? I'm currently looking for a distro to stick with, but Mint isn't exactly it. If i can find out the reason for this, than I should be able to find a distro that wouldn't havv the problem without having to install 1x times first.

Thanks
    there is a chance that your video card is less than perfect. software isn't the only thing that can have problems. i fix computers and see hardware issues all the time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast