Thread: Window Manager & Compositing Combo

Beans

Window Manager & Compositing Combo

Hi all,
    In 8.04 I found that a combination of A Gnome-Openbox Session and xcompmgr significantly speed up window response time.
    In Intrepid, much like in hardy i find myself waiting seconds for a response when i select any of my "PLACES"

Can any one who know the code explain why metacity and compiz respond so slowly ? I tried Gnome-openbox in Intrepid but i can't get it to work yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Window Manager & Compositing Combo

Try XFCE - that has a built in compositor, it's pretty decent too

Beans

that's probably because metacity and compiz are not just compositors they also do window management

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    that's probably because metacity and compiz are not just compositors they also do window management
    If they both do window management and compositing, that seems redundant. Run slow as hell here. I'll keep trying with openbox. Not as pretty but much faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by BGFG View Post
    If they both do window management and compositing, that seems redundant. Run slow as hell here. I'll keep trying with openbox. Not as pretty but much faster.
    No redundancy. Your system will run one (Metacity) or the other (Compiz), not both at once.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

In my system processes i see both metacity and compiz decorator running. Also,which is faster ?

Beans

Compiz should be faster on the right machine. Compiz utilizes your gpu to manage all the nice effects and opening windows, etc.. leaving your cpu to do the real work. This is what I've been told before.

thus why on my system with compiz things fly, and with just gnome things are slow as crap with 2gb of ram!