Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: skype no sound at all (not in calls, not in test call, no "test sound")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question skype no sound at all (not in calls, not in test call, no "test sound")

hi,
    i don't get any sound out of skype. I installed it with synaptic and started it. I opened the sound-device-settings, left everything on default and tried the testcall. It quit, saying there is a "problem with audio playback". When I hit "test sound", nothing happens. I changed through every available sound-in, hit apply and tried test-sound again, yet, nothing happens.
    I don't know for sure what I should set sound-in to or if I should leave it to default, because in the system sound-preferences, sound playback is on auto detect, and sound works fine here.
    Anyway, I have a realtek-onboard-soundcard on my msi-sli-mainboard.
    Volume-Control has Device set to "HDA Nvida (Alsa Mixer)" (i have no idea what thats all supposed to mean, it got the hda nivia, a realtek alc883 (OSS Mixer) and two Capure...-devices in there to choose).
    Still under volume-control, I have Master and PCM enabled, as those are the only two I need to playback sound (enabled and disabled all the others, like front, line-in etc)
    any help?
    btw: i googled it, but all the problems and solutions that came up differed to mine, like test calls worked but real calls didn't, or there were actual error-messages etc.

thanks,
    hachel

Beans

Re: skype no sound at all (not in calls, not in test call, no "test sound")

Hey, I've had a similar thing with skype (and I also have a realtek onboard soundcard if that means anything). I haven't really looked into why or how, but I know now that I can only use skype without the "problem with audio playback" error like yours if I don't have any other programs open using pulse audio (e.g. music player etc.) - or at least that's what I asssume the problem is due to. I'm sure if I had the time to I could fix this properly, but skype is the only program that is affected by pulse audio's issues for me, so I'm not too concerned.

Anyway, if it helps, great. Otherwise, good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I had the exact same problem today.

Go to terminal, type:

sudo killall pulseaudio

or

sudo killall -9 pulseaudio

Restart Skype.

Go to the Sound Settings in Skype and choose Default on everything. Disable the automatic adjustment by Skype.

Test the Sound, make a test call, everything will work like a charm. (atleast it worked for me!)

Hope this helps.

You should also have alsa. If you have any problems with audio or video players after you kill pulse audio, lurd their options for sound stuff and change from pulseaudio to alsa mixer or anything with alsa.
    Last edited by Hangwire; November 7th, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
    freedom starts here.

Beans

Try setting your sound this way:

Sound in: HDA Intel (hw: Intel,0)
    Sound Out: Pulse
    Ringing: Pulse

This works for me.

I also had to change the Capture volume, Mic Volume, and the Mic Boost in my sound Settings (HDA Intel Alsa Mixer)
    Last edited by sirebral; November 7th, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added mic support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hi
    i didn't have anything open that would output any audio, so I tried Hangwires solution and it worked.
    But this is not permanent, do I have to kill the process evey time I want to use skype?
    thanks everyone,
    hachel

PS:sirebal, skype doesn't show me any pulse-devices to chose

Beans

Hi,
    I am having the same problem with skype and the kill command helps. So can we not deactivate the hole pulsesound stuff from the booting (dont know how) and is there any advantages of pulseaudio?

Cu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have this same problem. And I am about to follow the steps folks bring us here.
    Just an info: which Skype version is yours?
    Check it, please!, on About...

Thank you.

ieBrazil

ps: mine is 2.0.0.72
    Last edited by ieBrazil; November 9th, 2008 at 10:06 PM.

Beans

same problem here too with skype 2.0.0.72 and 8.04 with nvidia card and restriced drivers.

kill all pulseaudio seems to have sorted it out - thanks.

would be great to get a permanent fix without having to open the terminal each time, but this works just fine

Beans

Heres a solution for you so you dont have to open terminal and kill pulseaudio everytime you launch skype. This is the method i used:

killall pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get install esound
    sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio

As you can see this method uninstalls pulseaudio and installs esound instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Setting sound in and ringing to pulse and sound out to "...hw:..." (the first option after default device for me) fixed my problems. Everything appears to be working.

I'm running 8.01 x64.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast