Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by NT4usB View Post
    I have not edited /etc/network/interfaces manually.
    I did add a static IP address and delete the 'auto' entry using the GUI. It didn't stick after a restart.
    Code:
    ct@p42:/etc/network$ cat interfaces
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp
    ct@p42:/etc/network$ ls -al interfaces
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 269 2009-01-04 00:43 interfaces
    ct@p42:/etc/network$
    now I'm confused. what is the current situation. do You have a connection and how did You attained that connection. is there a problem whatsoever?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Nice howto, I have seen numerous people with Static IP issues, and even wrote a very quick howto myself.... it is here!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=954368

Some things I have noticed with static IP address that I haven't had an answer to as yet.

compared to a windows XP terminal plugged into the network on the same cable retreiving the same IP address etc, the Ubuntu terminal insists on having a different different network mask - can anyone explain why this is?

On an XP terminal I can easily change my network location, I have a static IP on my Laptop when at the office and DHCP when at home / other locations. Network manager obviously stores this information about different locations in a file somewhere (or in a DBase?) but I don't know how to get to it, so as I can change the location from the command line. Having to go through network manager is a pain, as I only want to change the location but I have to enter my root password, bring down the interface, change the location, then bring down the interface (again, as it never works first time!) then bring it up (I'm using ifup and ifdown).

If I was to create a laptop for a new user I'm sure they would be highly pissed of with having to do this every time!

I have contemplated writing a script to do the same thing, simply copying the various configuration to a file an then overwriting the /etc/network/interfaces file as required.... but I feel I shouldn't need to, and that network manager should do it for me?

thanks in advance for your comments / assistance

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    now I'm confused. what is the current situation. do You have a connection and how did You attained that connection. is there a problem whatsoever?
    I have the 'auto' connection Intrepid was kind enough to enable, and a static one if I go through the gyrations of deleting the auto one each time I reboot...

My point was, the suggested one click fix
    Code:
    [ifupdown]
    managed=false
    evidently won't work for me, since mine is already set as above.
    Way low on my need to fix list. A static IP is of no use to me if I can't get the video sorted, but that's another thread...
    (Master be/fe) ASUS P5KPL IPC, E5400, KVR800D2N6K2/2G, 8500GT, (2)PVR-150, A180, ATSC-115, U10.04, MythTV 0.23-fixes.

Beans

Exclamation How to REINSTALL Network Manager???

How to REINSTALL Network Manager? I followed the instructions and it worked some time. But now it does not work any more, no matter what I do (editing /etc/network/interfaces to make it connect via dhcp, etc). Basically I cannot connect to the internet I have to use another computer to post this reply. Once I get it connected, I plan to install WICD which is suggested to replace Network Manger.

So any help as to how to install network manager back to its original state is appreciated. Note that my ubuntu cannot connect to internet. So any suggestion should be centered around the command line without using the internet or live CD. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to REINSTALL Network Manager???

Quote Originally Posted by margazhang View Post
    How to REINSTALL Network Manager? I followed the instructions and it worked some time. But now it does not work any more, no matter what I do (editing /etc/network/interfaces to make it connect via dhcp, etc). Basically I cannot connect to the internet I have to use another computer to post this reply. Once I get it connected, I plan to install WICD which is suggested to replace Network Manger.

So any help as to how to install network manager back to its original state is appreciated. Note that my ubuntu cannot connect to internet. So any suggestion should be centered around the command line without using the internet or live CD. Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface DHCP
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    search www.google.com
    nameserver from_Your_provider or 208.67.222.220 and 208.67.222 (if I remeber good)
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    abou reinstalling NM after You get Your connection back ... You do not need it now and You might not need it anymore but I am gainst uninstalling it ...

Beans

Smile Re: WORKAROUND: Setting Static IP 8.10

Found out the real reason... the network cable was not plug in properly Now after making sure the physical connection is secure and the light is on, I can get both the dynamic and static IP settings work without any problem.

So if you do not have an internet connection, check the cable first before doing anything else!
    Last edited by margazhang; January 11th, 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Beans

ok, like many here I installed ubuntu and had issues with my static ip kept getting reverted to dhcp every time I restart.

I followed these instructions, all went well until I tried step 2.3 where you restart the network service I get this:

* Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    SIOCADDRT: No such process
    Failed to bring up eth0.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, Geesh, this is a frustrating "feature".

Not much new in this comment, but hopefully this description will lead others to the solution at the head of this thread.

If you use static addresses, my opinion and option was to remove "Network-Manager" asap.

Another option may be to use some Other DHCP server to assign your machine a fixed address through DHCP, and use that address on the rest of your network.

It seems that Network-Manager is very keen on overwriting most of the settings files at bootup and not keeping them updated as you change options on the network-manager menu. It also does not properly respect ifup configuration.

Lots of grief with Myth-backend. If backend machine was rebooted and Network-Manger not touched, then frontend and backend would work fine from only the local machine. Would give the generic "check server" message from any other frontend. Changing Network manager to use the Static address would then also break the front end on the backend machine.

Situation is that my machine normally runs at 192.168.1.3, but dhcp was assigning it 192.168.1.132.

Populated /etc/networking/interfaces, but then DNS, Network Manager and Myth all broke. Turned out that Network manager had been overwriting /etc/resolv.conf, even though it had detected that the interfaces were being managed by ifup.

After removing network manager completely and rebooting, the giveaway was that mythweb gave an error message that my server on 192.168.1.132 was not running. Turns out that network manager had even been overwriting my Myth-backend configuration.

It seems a bit weird that myth-backend needs to know it's own IP address

This bug affects people with more than one machine, but not enough machines to actually have a standalone DNS/DHCP setup that is not running on Ubuntu desktop. May it be worth the Network-Manager package configuration indicating it as conflicting with often-static software, such as nfs-server, apache and mythtv-backend?

Hope this helps someone.

-Dylan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

thanks for the info i just have 1 question does this also work without a router ? sorry just a no0b ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by margazhang View Post
    Found out the real reason... the network cable was not plug in properly Now after making sure the physical connection is secure and the light is on, I can get both the dynamic and static IP settings work without any problem.

So if you do not have an internet connection, check the cable first before doing anything else!
    Yes I had the exact same problem, Internet worked fine one day, then died late one afternoon, but only on one terminal I was using.....

Then I realised that the hub that I was wired into had been moved during a "clean and tidy" in the office, and one of the cables isn't exactly "secure" in it's plug!

And it only took me 2 days to work this one out. The problem of a static IP is that the computer will have it displayed in the return value for an <ifconifg> even if the computer isn't actually able to access the net, if you have DHCP and can't get connected, then the return value is blank!

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast