Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Macbook + Intrepid

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

New Macbook + Intrepid

Has anyone installed Intrepid 8.10 on the new Macbook? Is there any way to get mouse gestures working, or at least assign a region of the touchpad for right-click? How is the compatibility with hardware?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: New Macbook + Intrepid

See this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964291

I have it working now thanks to the mactel ppa.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wow! Thanks for the link. This is the first time I've been seriously considering buying another Mac in some time. If it is possible to get everything operational in Ubuntu for the dual-boot I may just have to get one.

btw, Kurosawa is awesome. I need to dig out my collection and watch some.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

to be clear, not all gestures work. I have 1, 2 and 3 finger tapping (1 click, right and middle) but not the other zoom, etc. 2 finger scrolling also works out of the box. However, I'm finding the tapping to be annoying. While typing my cursor moves all over with incidental taps. I just opened a new thread on that. If I can find a way to turn it off and on that would be cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

with a touchpad that big, i'd imagine accidental taps would be a concern. perhaps it requires some training of the wrists. i don't really care about zoom, as long as i can get an efficient, non-carpal tunnel inducing right-click working, that is just fine.

how about page up, page down? is there any way to simulate those keys? i use them all the time on my current computers. or is the two finger scrolling a sufficient replacement?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't use page up / down. What way do you use these? Or do you mean the actual keys on a 104 key keyboard? Two finger scrolling is quite simple and fast. Arrow keys work too.

Oh, and fn up or down arrow jumps (not sure a full page) up and down.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

page up and page down keys are very useful when dealing with a large spread sheet or a website with a big scroll bar. it is an efficient way to scroll to the next page of info. there is also "end" and "home" which are useful for jumping to the top and bottom of pages / documents with large scroll bars. i use those quite a bit too and i missed having those keys on my old macbook.

how about the hard drive? is it easy to replace like the previous generation of macbooks?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, yeah, those keys don't exist. There are some similar shortcuts like fn up arrow.

I've not tried to remove the drive yet but from what I've read/seen it's brain dead easy. It's all accessible under the bottom batter cover which also covers the drive. There are some nice descriptions on the apple site about the various features. I downloaded a nice overview video from there too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

very cool

As long as there are short-cut keys that substitute page up and page down in Ubuntu, all of my usability issues with macs are no longer an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by undoIT View Post
    there is also "end" and "home" which are useful for jumping to the top and bottom of pages / documents with large scroll bars. i use those quite a bit too and i missed having those keys on my old macbook.
    You will find that "Home" and "End" function differently on pretty much every platform BUT OS X. Home and End generally go to the beginning or end of a single line, not a page.

I think that Fn+Right = End and Fn+Left = Home in OSX, but I do not know if they operate the same in Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast