Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Pidgin and yahoo connection solution (Maybe)

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED] Pidgin and yahoo connection solution (Maybe)

After I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 I had this problem with Pidgin and Yahoo, it wouldn't login unless after a lot of attempts, giving me an error message:

"[account name] disconnected.
    Could not establish a connection with the server:
    Error resolving scs.msg.yahoo.com
    Name or service not known".

I've tried many thinks that where suggested in these Forums, for e.g. unistalling and reinstalling Pidgin, with no success. Then I read the error message more carefully and I saw that it had to be something with the resolving of the server address "scs.msg.yahoo.com". So I pinged "scs.msg.yahoo.com" and it gave me an error, but when I pinged "66.163.181.173", which is the numeric address of yahoo's server, there it was.

So, the solution that worked for me, and hadn't failed me yet, is this: In the "Acounts" menu choose your yahoo account and select "Edit Acount". In the new window that will appear named "Modify Account" in the "Advanced" tab look for an entry named "Pager server". By default its value should be "scs.msg.yahoo.com". Change it to "66.163.181.173"
    If this works for you too, please tell me so I can mark this post Solved and help other people that have the same problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Pidgin and yahoo connection solution (Maybe)

Maan, you're a wizard. Thanks a lot, it worked 100%.
    Anyway, yahoo starts to suck big time. I had a shortage of about 1 month on one of my e-mail accounts. I should gradually get rid of them, don't want my e-mail to be lost because of "cost reductions", "upgrades" and stuff. And they customer care is 0. In fact it's less than 0, is on the negative side. I was sending mail with my problem, and they were answering with surveys about how satisfied I was about their services. Now, that's really something.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey there realn,
    I am glad it worked for you too. I know it's very frustrating when apps that used to work fine stop to function with no apparent reason. But I don't think that we can blame Yahoo for trying to make a living in the cruel world of High Tech market. And to be honest, I don't like the way that google is coming up to become a monopoly in this area. I think I will stay with Yahoo for as long as I can.

Beans

I just ran into this exact issue this morning. I did, however, do some hardware upgrades on my home network. I think it might be the new router causing problems, but I wanted to say thanks because typing in the IP address fixed the issue. I'm assuming that it is a DNS issue somewhere along the way. Anyways, thanks for the solution.

Steve Rock

Last edited by Sef; December 6th, 2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: removed email address to prevent it from being spammed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [SOLVED] Pidgin and yahoo connection solution (Maybe)

Since this proved to be useful for at least 2 people (3 plus me) I'm marking this thread as Solved. Have fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

Beans

Worked for me as well. Thanks!

Beans

omg cool cool, pidgin works like a charm thanks a lot pPrdrm

Beans
    Hidden!

You are all very welcome! It's nice to know that this worked for all of you too. Thank you for thanking me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The trick works for me also, even when I ping scs.msg.yahoo.com, it results unknown host error, weird
    .:.:.[)[@[)|2.:.:.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast