Thread: Virtual Desktops?

Beans

Virtual Desktops?

Anyone here running virtual desktops like VMWARE, Citrix, Win4lin, or any others? Has anyone used more than one of these and what are the differences. What are your likes and dislikes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Virtual Desktops?

I really like Virtual Box running Windows on it. Fullscreen, not able to see the difference, PI running faster than original Windows (using paravirtualization). Seemless mouse and keyboard integration with add-on software.

Cons:
    - Host netwerking setup is a pain. VMware is much easier on that.
    - No standard USB with Open Source version
    AMD X2-4850e / 6150 / 2048 MB / 7600GT

Beans

Lately I have been using Vista 64 bit Ultimate and running Ubuntu on a VM. Personally I would prefer it the other way around but my job requires it. VMWare so far has been fantastic, granted my system is quite beefy and I can allocate multiple processors and 4gigs of ram just for my vm, but the software in itself works flawlessly with mouse and grafix after installing VMWare Tools.

Here is a little side by side. The left side is VMWare running a new install of Ubuntu 8.10 and me installing KDE 4. I use dual monitors so with full screen it just looks like another computer over there lol works nice.
    http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?i...onitorsqq1.jpg
    Last edited by Khryses; November 6th, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Inserted screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have to use vmware because I need USB access to some devices and vbox isnt quite there yet with USB.
    people knock vmware, i dont get it

Beans

How about Win4lin?

Beans

Havnt tried Win4Lin yet, so not sure