Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install FreeNX

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Install FreeNX

amara or anybody else,
    could you post your /etc/ssh/sshd_config so some dummy like me can take a look at it?
    thanks

Beans

I need a freenx client for amd64...

any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vyktor69
    Ok, I have a silly question but I have to ask it. I got freenx setup and I'm able to connect to it from my windows xp box at work. (Had a time figuring out I had to enable SSL on the NX client) and I get connected. The only problem is that I use Gnome and I can't see the top of my screen using the NX client. Anybody have any ideas?
    Change the resolution settings in client configuration. I use full screen.

Beans

Hi thanks fore the super guide, this program rocks.

But im missing the VNC way, so that i dont have to start a new session.
    I have tryied to change the desktop to vnc, but i belive i need to do somthing on the server side, but do not know what

code from the connection:

NX> 148 Server capacity: not reached for user: brian
    NX> 105 startsession --session="me ubuntu server" --type="vnc" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --cookie="******" --link="lan" --kbload="pc102/dk" --kbtype="pc102/dk" --keybd="1" --nodelay="1" --encryption="1" --backingstore="when_requested" --geometry="fullscreen" --media="0" --agent_server="192.128.2.106:0" --agent_user="" agent_password="***"" --screeninfo="1024x768x32+render"

NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 1.4.0-45-SVN OS (GPL)
    NX> 700 Session id: xxx
    NX> 705 Session display: 1004
    NX> 703 Session type: vnc
    NX> 701 Proxy cookie: xxx
    NX> 702 Proxy IP: 127.0.0.1
    NX> 706 Agent cookie: xxx
    NX> 704 Session cache: vnc
    NX> 707 SSL tunneling: 1
    NX> 1004 Error: Session did not start.
    NX> 504 Session startup failed.
    NX> 999 Bye
    Killed by signal 15.

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

when i login with nxclient it said no icon was found, no theme, no applet was loaded,...

i add gnome-settings-daemon to seson but applet still doesn't want to load applets and themes.

if i logout and connect with nxclient then everything works, is possible that gnome has multi sessions that this will work even i am logged in.

thx
    Last edited by mitjab; March 30th, 2006 at 09:58 AM.
    Juventus the champion

Beans

If anyone is having problems with FreeNX and getting strange errors about Public Key Auth. failing for user NX, I recently fixed the error by running the command:
    Code:
    sudo passwd -u nx
    Apparently my Nx user was locked.

Check your auth.log to see if when you get the strange error your NX user is locked.

If so then this cmd should fix it.

Please warn if I've done a no-no with this command

I'm still a newb.

- dmccarney

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Using this How-To, I've successfully gotten FreeNX working. What I would like to know is...Is there a way to copy files from client to server and vice versa using FreeNX? Or, do I have to seperately use an FTP server and client?

Beans

I'm not sure of any way to do it with JUST FreeNX, but since FreeNX runs on SSH and SSH provides SCP, you can just fire up an SCP client and then use your SSH connection as an encrypted FTP connection.

Personally, I use WinSCP for my SCP client but the command line version of SCP works great too. WinSCP has a great graphical FTP client feel to it.

PuTTY has it's own client available too but I forget the name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Install FreeNX

Is there a way to copy files from client to server and vice versa using FreeNX? Or, do I have to seperately use an FTP server and client?
    If you don't need to send too much data back and forth, use gnome's built in sftp connection in conjuction with nautilus.

Go to Places > Connect to Server > choose SSH. Enter the IP address for Server and the username and a descriptive name for the connection. Then you will be able to drag and drop files whenever you want. Even without FreeNX being connected.

Tip: Just drag files onto the shortcut icon on your desktop and they will be copied to the remote computer. Very handy.

Edit: Just noticed you are using Kubuntu. Konqueror has sftp functionality also although I don't remember the steps to set it up.
    Last edited by z_diver; April 5th, 2006 at 03:35 AM.

Beans

So I have been trying to get this freeNX working for about 2 weeks. I've done all kinds of research and still can't get it to completely work.

My problem lies in connecting to my linux box with WINXP across the internet. I'm using the nomachine client and it works fine at home (local network) most of the time, I will explain later.

So this is my exact problem. Across the internet I can make a connection to my machine and even authenticate. It's when it begins to negotiate a session it errors out.

My research has lead me to do a few things:
    -Verify that my home directory is read only to all users
    -Delete any instances of .Xauthority-* in my home directory
    -Issue a command >sudo ifconfig lo up (no idea what this does)

Like I stated before at home (local network) everything works fine until I issued the (sudo ifconfig lo up) command. At this point nothing works for a few hours, then I can reissue the (sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart) command and it begins to work at home (local network) again.

All I can deduct from my trials is this:

It appears something goes wrong when trying to generate an Xsession from outside my LAN? It might have something to do with some proxy loop back thing?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Update:

I tried a couple things and actually got a little success. First I went into the /etc/nxserver/node.conf file and edited some more paths, basically just adding in the complete path for certian commands. Then I went and copied the client.id_dsa.key from /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh to my XP machine and reloaded the key.

I tried to connect again from inside my LAN and it works multiple times. I tried to connect from outside my LAN and it worked, but only once. Then I have to wait a little while, delete my clients cache, reload the key again, and every now and then it will work again. But only one time and I then after to repeat the stated process?!?! What the heck.
    Last edited by tkman; April 6th, 2006 at 04:24 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast