Thread: [SOLVED] vbox ubuntu 8.10 into XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] vbox ubuntu 8.10 into XP

I am trying to put 8.10 into my wife's computer using virtual box. Does anyone have a straight forward how to on this? I keep getting small (640x480) screen and the instruction to change to 32 bit. Just trying to convert her....
    Born over 64 years ago, naked, and unable to care for myself, I have overcome these handicaps through the help of family and friends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: vbox ubuntu 8.10 into XP

You want to run Ubuntu from inside Win XP? Isn't that what Wubi is for? Or am I mistaken/confused about Wubi?
    -- Coreigh

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible"
    ... Einstein or Escher, you pick ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: vbox ubuntu 8.10 into XP

You have to install the guest additions to allow it to get a better resolution. On the VBox window, after starting up Ubuntu in it, click on install Guest Additions. This will put a CD in the drive in the virtual machine. You will likely getting an autorun error message, just hit cancel. Open up the command line and try this out:

Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
    Type in your password, then it will run the installation and tell you to reboot once it's done. After it reboots, it should automatically update to a better resolution for you. Also, this is case sensitive, so make sure you catch the capital letters.

Let me know how that works for you.
    Andrew - Folding@Home