Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vmware Workstation 6.5 On Ubuntu 8.10 Modifiers Keys Not Working

Beans

Angry Vmware Workstation 6.5 On Ubuntu 8.10 Modifiers Keys Not Working

Hello,

i've just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and Vmware Workstation 6.5 and the modifiers keys do not work when I'm working on the guest machine.

The end, home, delete, ... keys simply don't work. The arrow down key yields the start menu...

Help me!!!

TAzPsychoDad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Vmware Workstation 6.5 On Ubuntu 8.10 Modifiers Keys Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by tazpsychodad View Post
    Hello,

i've just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and Vmware Workstation 6.5 and the modifiers keys do not work when I'm working on the guest machine.

The end, home, delete, ... keys simply don't work. The arrow down key yields the start menu...

Help me!!!

TAzPsychoDad
    Ditto with Ubuntu 8.10 and NXClient logging in to a remote machine. The keys work OK on the host machine.

On the remote machine under NXClient the end, home, delete and the up/down/left/right arrow keys are not working.

All was working well until the 8.10 upgrade.

Beans

I have the same problem, and my colleagues too , but we don't know how to fix..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Same problem here-- it's so frustrating! Also running (k)ubuntu 8.10 and VMWare Workstation 6.5. I happen to be on an Intel iMac. Have tried two different USB keyboards, an Apple Pro Keyboard and a generic Logitech 104-key.

I will see if I can get any traction with VMWare support and post back here if I learn anything.

UPDATE:
    Found the workaround on the VMWare forums here:
    echo 'xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true' > ~/.vmware/config
    You can also (sudo) edit the global config at /etc/vmware/config for the change to affect all users.

The fix worked fine for me.
    Last edited by Steely1; November 6th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Beans

Are there solution for nxclient or qtnx?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Steely1 View Post

Found the workaround on the VMWare forums here:

You can also (sudo) edit the global config at /etc/vmware/config for the change to affect all users.
    This worked for me as well. Thank you.

Beans

I also fixed my arrow keys with this... However my Portuguese layout is all screwed :S

Any Portuguese guy has tested this? Algum Português testou isto?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This also affects the 2X application server client. Of all the config files I can find for 2X, I cannot find where to set keyboard maps.

It worked fine yesterday when I was still using 8.04. Today with 8.10 I have this issue.

I have tried all of the fixes out there remotely related to this issue. Since vmware was never installed or configured on this machine, there has to be either A) Somewhere that these other tsclients are pulling their configs from, or B) somewhere to define for the tsclients what the config is.

I have also tried multiple versions of the appserverclient from 2x with no joy. 8.10 is as updated as I can get it. The issue doesn't exist in Ubuntu or via a regular Terminal Server Client connection, which points to a rogue system setting, or an application specific setting.

Here's the post I made at the 2X forums:

Was working in Ubuntu 8.04 with 6.1.
    Server: VMWare running Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Using appserver 6.1
    Client: Dell Latitude D630 running Ubuntu 8.10.
    Issue exists in Linux clients 4.3 and 6.1. Issue does not exist in 4.3 or 6.1 if using Ubuntu 8.04

Issue: Using the keyboard to navigate in any appserverclient applications (Outlook 2007, excel 2007, Internet Explorer 6, and desktop connection) the down arrow will either not do anything, or will open the start menu (if viewing desktop). The left arrow is "alt" and the up and right arrows do nothing. Keys that also do nothing: insert, delete, home, end, page up. Page Dn opens a menu of sorts, depending on the program.

All of the keys work inside of Ubuntu itself as well as through a non-2X Terminal Server Client app.

Right alt opens email in outlook.
    Right ctrl jumps down 6 lines (page dn?).
    Prnt Scrn deletes.

All letter, number, punctuation, and function keys work properly.

Plainly, I need to find out how/where 2X defines or retrieves its keyboard map.
    Last edited by Freaky_Llama; November 18th, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Fixed for me too. Only thing that doesn't work is the Caps Lock light on the keyboard. Caps lock button still works though.
    The perfect wedding
    apt-get install weddingring
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade house

Beans

Worked perfect for me, simple, elegant, efficient, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast