Thread: Canadian Repositories Unbearably Slow

Beans

Canadian Repositories Unbearably Slow

I tried a few of the different Repositories in Canada, even had Synaptic chose the best one and had downloads of no higher than 12kB/s. That's slow considering I've gotten up to 500+kB/s from the Main server.

Anyway, just posting it if any Canadians have problems downloading updates or what not. If you do, use the main server.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Canadian Repositories Unbearably Slow

Quote Originally Posted by darksoul7 View Post
    I tried a few of the different Repositories in Canada, even had Synaptic chose the best one and had downloads of no higher than 12kB/s. That's slow considering I've gotten up to 500+kB/s from the Main server.

Anyway, just posting it if any Canadians have problems downloading updates or what not. If you do, use the main server.

Cheers.
    I noticed the problem some time ago. I have set my repository to an American repository (http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu) and that has worked well. I imagine that the repositories from the larger American universities will work as well.
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could see this as a positive sign, that a lot of people in Canada are using, or have switched to Ubuntu.
    Always look on the bright side of life
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Beans

Yes Maplebuntu power!

Or something like that lol

Beans

I've been using the one at U Sherbrooke without any problems (touch wood).

This page might also be useful: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Beans

Same problem here. The highest I got was 9.2kb/s. For now I'm back on main. Going to try USherbrooke though.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Yeah, I had to switch over to the main repositories today, because the ca.ubuntu.archive would run at barely 10 Kbps, (speeds of 4 -5 Kbps would be average), and time out CONSTANTLY.

Beans

Talking Re: Canadian Repositories Unbearably Slow

Ho this comforts me. I am new to Ubuntu and I just installed it yesterday and I was wondering why the download speed for updates was so poor. It seems that I'm not the only one experiencing the problem. I'll switch to main servers and retry my update then...

Thanks guys for the hint.

DoM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

New Canadian Ubuntu user. My updates are also limited to 12kb or less. How do I change the source of my updates?

Cheers...Gerry

Beans

I had the same problem but now I fixed it with switching to the main server does anyone know what is the closest fastest server to Canada Alberta because I am paying for 5mb/s and I am getting 500kb/s I feel Ubuntu is ripping me off
    Remember kids most thefts come in through Windows Vista